Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Coming to peace with Hospice

tonyac2
tonyac2 Member Posts: 314
500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
Member

Last months I posted about ESBL and Hospice. I wrestled for quite awhile about deciding to place my DH on hospice. Many things became clear to me which made the decision more manageable for me. I struggled mightily with the thought I would be killing my husband if I didn’t continue to chase any and all treatments. I finally realize: 1. I’m asking his body and mind to fight something it is no longer able to do. The infections are closer together. The recoveries are shorter. The “bounce back” isn’t what it used to be.
2. The days of his life were never in my hands, they’re in God’s hands. I need to let go.
3. I’m not letting go because I don’t love him enough. I’m letting go because I love him too much to keep putting him through things that aren’t helping anymore.

One last thought that helped me decide on hospice. “I’m trying to delay his passing, but at the same time, it’s prolonging his pain and suffering.” I think that one was the clincher for me.

My DH has been on in-home hospice for two weeks and we’re taking it one day at a time during this part of the journey and I have the peace I needed to take this step with him.

Comments

  • CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 785
    1,000 Care Reactions 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    We understand.

    Hugs.

  • Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 899
    Sixth Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Thank you for sharing your clarity with us. ((( HUGS))) Your perspective is so very helpful.

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 514
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    May God watch over you and your DH, @tonyac2

  • persevere
    persevere Member Posts: 350
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    You made the right choice. You are showing him more love by bringing in hospice than anything else you could do. Comfort above all else - for both of you.

  • BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 543
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    My wife has been on hospice for about 6 months now. I understand the feelings you described. Hospice is a scary word because of all the stories we have head. Once you except that the decision is what is best for them, that they wouldn't want to live like this if they were cognitively able to choose so keeping them comfortable and as happy as possible and letting them go is a hard gift to give but it is the gift they deserve. We may want them to stay but it is a very non selfish decision to let them go on their schedule.

  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 3,421
    1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 2500 Comments 1,000 Care Reactions
    Member

    beautifully said. Your comments here will help so many. The most loving and selfless thing we can do for our loved one is to let them go. Praying for you both. 🙏💜

  • tonyac2
    tonyac2 Member Posts: 314
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Thank you @SDianeL You helped me a lot when you shared about your DH getting aspiration pneumonia and the decision not to treat it. Your comment stuck with me for days, and then I finally saw the love behind it once I sorted out all the noise from, “I’m killing my husband if I don’t get him treatment!”

  • Russinator
    Russinator Member Posts: 381
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Member

    ((HUGS))

  • marier
    marier Member Posts: 168
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    I so needed to hear this message. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I am sending you hugs and prayers .

  • Maru
    Maru Member Posts: 544
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Your post really hit home. We are not yet in your situation, but am struggling with which meds and which treatments to allow, trying to figure out which are for comfort and which will prolong life. I can only imagine how difficult it will be when it is time for hospice. May you be at peace with your decisions.

  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 1,246
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 500 Care Reactions
    Member

    Hugs

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more