Tipps and tricks needed
I have been caring for my DH for the last 13+ years with FTD. Hospices is on board and I have help from the VA. I am so grateful.
My DH is beginning not to be able to walk even with assistance and is starting not to stand from bed to wheelchair. So staying in bed is becoming a reality for him. I am able to get him out of bed and into the wheelchair when my son is her to help but hospices and the VA caregivers are not able to do this. A hoyer lift has been discussed. Any other suggestion for getting him out of bed into a wheelchair would be appreciated. Or maybe it is time for me to accept he is now confined to his bed.
I have had him checked for UTI and he just finished a round of antibiotics.
Comments
-
When my dad was to weak to get out of bed with help from his wife from cancer, we put his electric adjustable bed hospice provided in the living room so he could be there for visiting and feel more included. with the adjustable bed he was able to sit up when he wanted and with a table tray he could eat or drink comfortably. It wasn't ideal but it was much safer for both of them.
4 -
Dear @marier
So sorry you have reached this point. Glad you have Hospice involved and assistance from the VA. I have a couple of thoughts for you:
- Can the VA help (cover costs) with some in-home care support, maybe 3 times a week for a couple of hours each day to help get your DH out of bed and into a chair/wheelchair? (Not sure why the ‘VA caregivers’ cannot help you get him out of bed. It could be you need an outside agency with certified nursing assistants to assume that liability?)
- So happy you have your son for that needed support. Continue to get his help when he is able. Getting DH out of bed, even for a few hours is good for skin circulation.
- Hoyer lifts are tricky. Even in hospitals they are a 2-person (at least) task. But they DO a good job protecting your back! If one is offered, I would surely accept. Just know that you should not try to lift your DH on your own. You need a demonstration and request that you do a return demo in front of someone who is familiar with this equipment.
- Last resort is to consider your DH bedbound. Have hospice staff help you set up a turning schedule and get tips on how to turn and reposition DH so his skin is protected. See if they have supplies to protect shoulder blades, heels, buttocks (and even ears!) as these areas don’t have much padding and will be the first to break down. Find out about undergarments that can be removed easily when you have to clean him up after urination or BM. I would expect them to demonstrate and have you do return-demonstrations so you feel confident.
Hope one or more of these ideas give you some help. May God watch over you and your DH.
5 -
Thank you for the information. I have an appointment scheduled to discuss with an OT/RN persons from VA and Hospices will be showing be some more ways to handle DH in bed. I might also consider trying to move his bed into the family room.
1 -
Depending on your LO's weight and your strength, PT/OT may have some tricks to help you transfer him- gait belts, sliding boards, body mechanics, etc. Be totally honest with them and don't take on more than you can handle. Stay safe!
3 -
❤️
0 -
0
-
Hooray for the hoyer- I would humbly offer my opinion on home hoyer lifts. My wife and I (we’re 61 year old women) help our neighbor frequently with hoyer transfers from bed to chair. She has advanced MS with no lower extremity function and her upper body is also quite compromised. We do it individually and find it remarkably easy. We can literally lift and transport (roll her in the hoyer) her from bedroom to the living room and then lower her to her recliner.
5
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
