Successful Strategy: Amazon "Teen" Account
I want to share an amazing, life-altering, successful strategy I've been implementing for 3 years with my mom (mild-mod ALZ). My mom has always been an Amazon-aholic. Before I moved her near me into AL, she would buy all this stuff and try to return them and getting confused and I had to straighten it all out. Now I am the custodian of her funds and watching her pennies.
I called Amazon and told them about my mom's condition, and they helped me helped me set up a "Teen Account" linked to my own Amazon Family Account. I had to start with creating a new email address that looked almost the same as her real one, missing one letter, gave it to Amazon who made her a teenager, with shopping privileges, she can put things in her cart, but she can't buy anything. There is no payment method attached. I then can check her cart (it notifies me) and if it is something she needs or is something she could or should have, I buy it on my own account and get it to her or have it shipped directly to her. It is a Godsend. She has gone through all the emotions about it as it does tell her, "waiting for parental approval", but we've talked about the fact I can get it cheaper on my account, no shipping and she is usually good about it. Right now, however, she is furious that I won't buy her a new printer and she can't buy it herself— and that is hard for me to stomach. But the strategy has been GREAT for both of us, and makes her feel more independent.
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help