Rough day
My DW went to bed last night thinking I had left for the night and recogonized me as her dead father. She got up this AM and still thinking I am her father and very agitated as to why her husband isn't here and why didn't he leave a note as to where he went. She started telling me everything her and her husband did for the last couple of days as if was all news to me. Very difficult to have answers for this so I just kept playing the role as her father. She also was getting dressed to go to church thinking it was Sunday. Nothing I could say to convince her it was Tuesday even after she looked at the calendar. I had a bill to mail and she got very agitated that I was using her husbands check book. Hopefully things get better later today because I am lost for words to keep up with this delusion.
Just venting again.
Comments
-
Vent away. It is so hard to watch our LO and their delusions every day. You wonder what is going on in their brain to make them think you are someone other than yourself. My DW has referred to me as her father. She was close to her father so I take it as a compliment when she thinks I am her father. It is so hard to live in their world but that’s all we can do. Hoping your day goes better today.
1 -
I know how hard this must be for you. Even the smaller “reality drifts” like my DH does are troublesome and it’s hard to know how to react. My DH wishes me a happy birthday often. It breaks my heart but we all troop on, don’t we?
2 -
Here is something you might try…..tell your wife you will get your husband, leave the house, change clothes and come back in as your husband who has been at the store
4 -
It was such a rough day I decided I would get her out for the day and we went shopping. Along the trip she was bouncing back and forth as me being her father and the next minute her husband. After the shopping trip and back home she was telling me about all the things her father had bought her…I just went along with it. Later that day after a short nap she woke up and recognized me as her husband but was asking me where the other people she thought was in the room went. She then started quizzing me as to where I had gone and what is the name of the friend I go with….very difficult to come up with answers for this. Sometimes I feel like I am the one losing my mind.
4 -
I could be wrong but I suspect it’s an age thing. In their mind, their spouse is much younger. This person that looks much older but obviously cares a great deal must then be a parent. My Mom is continuously shocked by my age when it comes up in conversation.
3
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 699 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 403 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 248 Caring Long Distance
- 207 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
