Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The Power of Gratitude

CindyBum
CindyBum Member Posts: 789
1,000 Care Reactions 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
Member

I write this while recognizing that so many of you are deep into the brutal journey of caregiving. I hope it does not feel like some lecture. It's the experience I had and I felt like it might help someone if I shared.

Early on in this awful journey, I was so blinded by my wife's and my own pain while I was caregiving that I had to make a change to my attitude at some point. I picked trying to find something to be grateful for every day. At the beginning of trying to find gratitude, I rarely meant it. I was angry and exhausted and sad and stressed and depressed. I think I may have nearly lost my mind a couple of times while caregiving. I kept trying to find gratitude anyway. I had no idea if it would ever work for me, but I felt something was important about remembering gratitude in the midst of all this pain. It became, together with finding respite time, the way for me to fight for my own survival.

And so I'd wake and find anything. The sun. Our house. The cats. My DW was still sleeping so I had some time alone. Anything I could claim to be grateful for. I'd say I didn't really believe it for nearly a year.

That moved to hiring caregivers and me getting to take walks alone more often. The gratitude slowly became real in those walks. Walking on a beautiful northern California beach will do that to a person. The beauty of this world started to remind me of all the wonderfulness in the world and my world: My DW and I felt we'd found the love of our lives. We'd laughed so much together. We each had satisfying careers. We'd been successful after growing up poor. I have a wonderful family and amazing friends, one I've had since kindergarten. We'd cried together as both her parents passed. We'd fought for our relationship when her caregiving of her own mother with dementia overtook our lives and I got pushed aside, feeling alone for several of her intense caregiving years. Our love never stopped, despite any of that. It didn't stop in dementia either, though I lost her piece by piece.

Now I find myself filled with gratitude, even as I cry every day about losing her in February 2026. All of that other gratitude that became real just started to compound. I'm grateful to be alive. I'm grateful I fought for myself. I'm grateful that I found it in me to care for her with more love and gentleness than I thought I possessed. I'm grateful for art and music and nature and marvel at it with different eyes than I had before. I want to take advantage of every minute I have left in this life and to be appreciative of it. The gratitude I've felt has sometimes been overwhelming these last few months. I am definitely not complaining about that. It's been remarkable and rather wonderful to have that to balance out my deep, deep grief. It's why I keep telling my friends and family that I know I will be ok.

Please hang in there and I hope you all find a way to honor and care for yourselves even as you spend so much of yourself caring for the one you love.

Big hug.

Comments

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 521
    500 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Beautiful, @CindyBum thank you.

    And I am glad you are finding ways to navigate your new journey. God bless you!

    💝

  • Russinator
    Russinator Member Posts: 381
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Member

    Excellent post. Thank you

  • Call me Gram
    Call me Gram Member Posts: 181
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Member

    @CindyBum, Thank you for this… it is inspiring!

  • blacksparky
    blacksparky Member Posts: 426
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Thanks for the awesome words.

  • annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 825
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    @CindyBum this is a beautiful post. I’m so happy you have been able to find such joy. I believe we all have it in us - we just need to find it, any way we can.

  • tonyac2
    tonyac2 Member Posts: 314
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Thank you @CindyBum. I find that I’m a better person when I let gratitude drive. Thanks for the reminder.

  • Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 899
    Sixth Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Thank you CB!

  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 3,421
    1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 2500 Comments 1,000 Care Reactions
    Member

    Thank you. Your posts help so many. You continue to honor your wife by sharing your journey with us. 💜

  • Goodlife2025
    Goodlife2025 Member Posts: 493
    250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    CB, thank you for staying with us and continuing to share your thoughts and journey with us. I will say I am very grateful for this group. And for this one, I have meant it since day one. 😅

  • sfrsythe
    sfrsythe Member Posts: 47
    25 Likes Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments
    Member

    Beautiful, inspiring, thank you!

  • RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 125
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes
    Member

    A lovely post❤️

    Indeed gratitude is the key to finding joy after (and if able, during) all of the struggles, suffering, sorrow.

    I lost my love 8/18/24.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more