Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Anger is grief speaking up

sarahperryrn
sarahperryrn Member Posts: 3
First Anniversary
Member

As someone walking through dementia and Alzheimer's with my own family, I keep thinking about a line I recently heard:

"Anger is grief speaking up."

If we want something to change in the next 20 years, we have to speak up…now.

Alzheimer's is often approached as, "See a neurologist and wait." But Alzheimer's is not just a neurology problem. It touches speech, hearing, behavior, mental health, relationships, caregiving, identity, family systems, and daily life.

Who is talking about:

• Speech therapy. What happens when language changes? What is aphasia actually like for the person experiencing it?

• Caregivers. What happens to the spouse carrying this every day?

• Family members. What do children and adult children do with the grief of slowly losing someone who is still physically here?

• Psychiatry and geriatric mental health. Anxiety, depression, agitation, sleep, behavioral changes. Why does this feel separate from memory care when it affects daily life so much?

• Hearing. We know hearing loss is associated with cognitive decline, yet hearing checks are not a routine part of many conversations around prevention and cognitive health. Why aren't we talking more about it?

• Communication. What is it actually like to pick up the phone and call your parent with dementia? What do you say? What do you not say?

We talk a lot about treatments and future breakthroughs, but 20 years is not a long time

Every day counts.

Even my young children see things differently because of their experience with Grandma. When kids hear the phrase "brain rot," they don't think of internet slang. They think about someone they love. They think about the brain, memory, and what it means to lose parts of ourselves.

These are the conversations I wish we were having more often.

"What does daily life look like?""How does everyone in the family feel?""What support should come as part of the package?""What are we missing?"

I would genuinely love to hear from others. What conversations do you wish had happened earlier?

Comments

  • psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 788
    250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments Third Anniversary
    Member

    All the things that H1235 said! A referral to the Alz Association and this forum would be a great addition to any packet of materials that a doctor's office could provide.

  • jen ht
    jen ht Member Posts: 236
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member
    edited May 20

    Yes! I have just been thinking about these things too!

    And anosognosia… dad was being scammed and at first I did not understand what was going on.

    Excellent points here! People do not have any idea what brain change can mean and can do to a person.

    I trusted that dad was making sound decisions and even when it was obvious that he was not making sound decisions any longer I felt like the scammers had more "protections" than I did as someone trying to safeguard his assets.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more