Handling transition to memory care
Comments
-
@Tracyab
We had the same with my dad after we placed him. Unlike your situation, the vitriol was aimed at us both for a couple of weeks.
What worked for us:
We created a fiblet that dad's PCP wanted him to go to rehab for PT until he got stronger. This allowed mom to be his ally while placing "blame" on his doctor. It also meant mom wasn't the one who would decide "when he could come home".
I also visited with mom the first few weeks. This allowed me to keep the visit in the public spaces in the MCF; he had just enough social filter left to behave better if there was an audience. I could also whisk her out of the situation when things got ugly. She felt guilty for placing him and seemed to act as if she was required to endure his abuse.
I also found it useful to bring something for dad at each visit. A soft pretzel, hot coffee, something from the bakery or a fast-food lunch.
HB3 -
I also blamed it on the doctor. I told my wife that they needed to monitor her and she needed to stay in the rehab center until she got stronger. Time is different in their world. She was been in MC two years but thinks it has been a couple of weeks. Sometimes when I get ready to leave she says she will get her stuff so we can go and I tell her that she needs to stay there that night so they can continue to monitor her and that I will be back tomorrow and she is OK with that.
2 -
Thank you for this insight. Today, I tried blaming it on her doctor (who she remembers and respects) and while it didn't make her any happier, she seemed satisfied with that as a reason. I will pass that tip onto my father for when she starts blaming him.
2 -
The doctor thing is a good tip! And thank you for the reminder that it's not something I can only offer up now, but as often as I need to in the future.
1 -
What worked well with a family member was telling her that she was there for rehab and that once she got stronger, she would go home. At that time, she was in a wheelchair and could not stand or walk.
2
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
