Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Grandchildren's visit - should they stay elsewhere?

shiawase12
shiawase12 Member Posts: 95
250 Care Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary 10 Comments
Member

I'm here again for advice and thoughts.

My DH is in stage 5, still able to care for himself, but conversations are increasingly difficult as he struggles for words. Yet sometimes it's ok.

My main concern at the moment is that he does best in a very quiet atmosphere. He usually can not place sounds in the background like the fridge iice maker clinking, a neighbor's door closing etc. It's always "What was that??!"

Often when I'm preparing dinner he feels I'm being excessively noisy even though I'm taking extra care not to make noise.

The other day he got so aggitated/angry at me because he was playing a game on his phone and I got a cat toy out of the drawer and played with the cat. It disrupted his focus enough for him to get angry very quickly. He stormed out of the room and couldn't calm down for a while even after we chatted about it and I apologized.

I feel like I'm tiptoeing around him alot now. Trying to be extra quiet, trying not to move around too musomething. Is focused on sonething.

My oldest son's family is planning to visit in August (which they've done numerous times before). They have a now 10 yr old and a 5 yr old. Not only are the boys typical boys, my daughter-in-law is naturally loud.

I'm thinking I need to make other arrangements for their stay while here so they aren't staying in the house as it would probably be too disruptive. They usually stay about a week.

I know if I were to ask my DH he would say "Of course they can stay here! Why wouldn't they?"

How would you handle this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    It doesn't sound as though your DH would enjoy houseguests. Many PWD are jealous of anyone who distracts their primary caregiver's attention away from them. Many, even those who spent their careers working with children, can't tolerate or appreciate them at a certain point in the disease process.

    Put them up in a nice hotel with a pool if you can afford it. Before hand, have a candid conversation about what you've shared here with your DS and DIL. If money is a concern, they may want to shorten the visit or have the son visit solo.

    If they do come, perhaps your DS could visit with dad while you visit the grands and DIL at the hotel. If the visit with DS goes well, perhaps you could introduce one child at a time and see how that goes.

    HB

  • trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 1,072
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Likes 1000 Comments 500 Care Reactions
    Member

    That’s a tough one. And a week is a long time for someone with dementia to have their life routines altered. For you it’s a doubled edged sword. Probably would be wonderful to have them in the house visiting but at the same time you may end up being a nervous wreck. Your description of your husband makes me think it has the possibility of going south quickly. Have a conversation with your son about your husbands current behaviors and tell him about your concerns. Maybe a backup plan on somewhere near to stay.

  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 5,361
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member
    edited May 23

    Hotel with pool sounds good. If they stay at the house have plan B in place.

  • shiawase12
    shiawase12 Member Posts: 95
    250 Care Reactions 25 Likes Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    Member

    Thanks everyone.

    I think I already know what would be best. Just having a hard time adjusting to it.

    Appreciate the back up. :)

    As always, glad to have this site and the understanding from all of you. 💕

  • KDSG
    KDSG Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    Hi,

    I have a similar problem. I love to host holiday gatherings but Easter this year was very stressful because I was trying to get things ready and he was constantly asking me to sit with him. I think next time I am going to ask people to distract him. He becomes very clingy when others are around.

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,339
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member

    I think you made a good decision. Is there a room in your house your husband could comfortably escape to if the visits get too overwhelming? Maybe an office or den with a tv to keep him occupied and drown out unwelcome noises. Would outside time be less stressful for him with them all there? I would try to think of a few ways to give him some relief. I’m sure you want to spend as much time with them as you can. I hope the visit goes well.

  • Jeff H
    Jeff H Member Posts: 223
    250 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Member

    Motel…

  • Sunfish47
    Sunfish47 Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I think your grandkids are just too young right now to not be disruptive to the routine and noise level of your house. If they were a few years older and usually on their devices with headphones, it could work.

    Our grandkids are a bit older (12 and two 14 year olds) and they visit with headphones to not disturb PopPop, cuz they’re old enough to understand the situation. Yes they will laugh a bit when he adds nonsensical comments to conversations or acts quirky, but they seem to be old enough to be learning patience.

  • Victoriaredux
    Victoriaredux Member Posts: 337
    250 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Member

    You may want to discuss adding a mild med with his Doctor since he is exhibiting some anger/aggression. Tap it down now for safety. Your health can suffer doing the tip-toe and anticipatory tip-toe just living a normal domestic life. His complaints aren't logical- they come from his brain not functioning as it did before.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more