Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DW needs more nap time

eligius
eligius Member Posts: 28
25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
Member

my DW gets thru the day ok if she takes a couple naps for an hour or so each. If she takes only one she is a ness by bedtime. Can’t follow directions to undress and put on pj’S, go to bathroom, etc and gets angry (really at herself, I know). I try to coax her to nap but she is getting more resistant. Any ideas to help?

Comments

  • Maru
    Maru Member Posts: 544
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Does she watch TV? When our 4 year old grandson grew resistant to a nap, I told him that we both just needed a little rest. We laid down on the sofas, put on a quiet movie (Charlotte's Web or similar). Naps happened, all was well. Would your wife be agreeable to doing something like that? A short rest time for you, as well, might not be an awful thing.

  • blacksparky
    blacksparky Member Posts: 424
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    My DW with EOAD is in stage 6 now and she still has a stubborn attitude. Even though their brain is shrinking ( dying) they still want to have some control over their body and actions. It took me a while to realize this but finally decided not to argue or fight with my wife over things like putting on pj’s, taking a shower, finishing her meals, putting on matching clothes or shoes. She wears the same clothes both day and night, she can be talked into a shower every 4-5 days , she eats what I give her on her time not mine, eventually the food is consumed if I just leave it alone. All I’m trying to say here is make it as easy for yourself as you can.

  • eligius
    eligius Member Posts: 28
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    thanks. Food & mealtime used to be a problem but she passed thru that phase and now pretty much eats what I fix for her. We just have to adapt to each new ‘gift’

  • Timmyd
    Timmyd Member Posts: 424
    500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 250 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    I had success if I laid down and napped with DW. It worked better if it was "our nap time" rather than just her nap time. Also I got used to the idea that DW would sleep more as disease progressed. For a while she was not comfortable sleeping alone (while I was awake), but eventually she became better at that.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more