Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

is it time for hospice

ronda b
ronda b Member Posts: 438
100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
Member

My DH has VD and Alz. .he just got out of the hospital from a 4 day stay. he had a heart attack and a gi bleed. He refuses all surgeries. There are are blockages from carotids to his femoral arteries, including a abdominal anyarisum that has been worked on once. he has such a long hx cant even go into it. My question is it to early to call for hospice? he was terrible in the hospital and had 24 hr sitter. Here he slightly unstable but doesnt have the short term he had. He just sorta sits and wanders around the house, all new. Any thoughts?

Comments

  • BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 543
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I agree with bowerbird it is not to early to have him evaluated.

  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 5,361
    Legacy Membership 5000 Comments 1,000 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Never too early …please interview more than one company…"extras" differ.

  • gailkk
    gailkk Member Posts: 2
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Member

    I'm close to that point w/ my SO. I know from experience with my mother, they were a great source of support for her, me, and helped defray some of the expenses. They will do an evaluation, consult with your physician(s) and determine her eligibility. I encourage you to seek their support.

  • cb4jb
    cb4jb Member Posts: 7
    5 Care Reactions First Comment
    Member

    We just began hospice for my DH. We wondered if it was too soon, but his decline has been so rapid over the last few weeks, and he's fallen 3 times. We already had caregivers that he likes, but the added help of having a nurse assess regularly and supplies provided will definitely help. The professional bath aide is also a good addition since some of our crew are not strong enough for that. We have 4 grown children and 2 teen grandkids—they were all part of this decision and supportive. The nurse told me that it was better to call them "too soon" that last minute. The only hurdle is that it seems like "a lot of people traipsing through" to him, so he gets sulky about it sometimes. I'm hoping their suggestions will help him rest at night.

  • Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 233
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I agree with the majority, never to soon. DW is on hospice for a year now. I have to say it was the best decision I have made though our journey. She's mid stage 7 now and hospice for "us" has been great. They really have taken a lot of the burden off me. Where we live OK. hospice has a lot of leeway when it comes to meds. I was really surprised at the amount of meds they can order, not just comfort meds, but meds for bladder control, yeast infection and so on. The aids come in 3x a week and shower her which takes some hard work that I don't have to do.

  • ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 438
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Thanks everyone. I did call hospice in and they accepted him. Yes so far they have been great. Just have to get use to the schedule.

  • tboard
    tboard Member Posts: 346
    Legacy Membership 500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Have his primary doctor have him evaluated for hospice. There are certain things they look for like weight loss and if they stop walking. My DH had VD and ALZ and is being evaluated for hospice this week because he stopped walking and can no longer stand. He is also loosing about a pound a week.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more