Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New Symptoms

Sandi Roe
Sandi Roe Member Posts: 58
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments
Member

Hi, my LO, 88, diagnosed Alzheimer’s 2024 but symptoms at least 2 years earlier. This is were we are now. Doesn’t drive, can’t cook, can’t remember his pin # for credit cards. Can’t pay bills or do meds. Latest hearing voices sing Happy Birthday at 1 AM and going outside to look for them. Hand tremors and absolutely no recall , short term. He swears he is fine alone for 3 days after I arranged caregivers so I could go see my daughter with heart failure. I realize we all have the same problems. I wish I had a magic wand to change everything! No money for full time caregiver, I’m stuck in his imaginary world. I’m 82.

Comments

  • Russinator
    Russinator Member Posts: 381
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Member

    ((HUGS)) I'm 83 and my wife is 73 (I love with all my heart). She has the same symptoms as your LO.

  • Sandi Roe
    Sandi Roe Member Posts: 58
    100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments
    Member

    I’m really opposed to continue giving him more drugs. That seems all the doctors want to do, it’s a loose.. loose game😒

  • BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 543
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I have always been against over medication (It seems like some doctors want to prescribe something all the time) but I have come to the point that if it helps with symptoms from dementia I want to try it. I know that all medication that can help can also hurt but even if it shortens my wifes life but in the meantime it takes away her anxiety or upsetting delusions it is a good deal. I agree it is a loose loose deal. It is pick your poison, but either way it is poison and going to kill you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more