Respite stay
Asking your thoughts on respite care. Where we live there are MC facilities that offer 30 day respite stays for the caregiver to get a break. I’m sure they would like to keep the PWD permanently so they offer this. I would love to have a break like this and also curious to see how my DW does but afraid the move there and then back home will affect her progression. Had anyone done this? Let me know your thoughts.
Comments
-
People with dementia are all so different. Being home may remind her of all the things she wants to do that she is not able to (or that you won’t let her in an effort to keep her safe). Mom wanted to mow the lawn, reupholster the couch, bake bread, power wash the swing….. Being away from her home actually helped get some of these things off her mind and decreased her anxiety a bit. I don’t know how structured your days are, but people with dementia do better with structure and routine. An increase in routine was very helpful for mom. You should also consider your own health. A break may allow you to be a better caregiver when she comes back. You may also find she has adjusted so well and you want to keep her there. There is no wrong decision. No one knows how these kinds of things will go. Just make the decision you think is best and don’t beat yourself up if you later decide it was the wrong way to go.
3 -
I did this with my DH. The lease ( read it carefully) was a 30 day respite stay ( and yes they do hope you move your loved one permanently.) We didn’t make it the whole 30 days due to a fall on day 12 my DH had and subsequent 6 day hospital stay. When released from the hospital I took him back home but left his stuff there until day 30 in case I wanted him to go back. I don’t think it made a difference in his disease progression and within a day or two home he had no recollection of the hospital or the MC facility.
3 -
I took my spouse for a 5 day respite provided by hospice. He became severely deconditioned and is now in a hospital bed 24/7. He was walking short distances with a walker when I dropped him off.
4
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help