Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

At home activities

Would like to receive any suggestions for an activity my husband can do with moderate ALZ.

Comments

  • Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 898
    Sixth Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    For awhile we were buying small unpainted bird houses from the craft store and painting them. My DH liked it and we would occasionally take a walk and randomly hang them on a tree along the creek. We also donated several to a local donation center. I would get the activity started and then step away to cook or do chores and he kept painting

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,339
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member
    edited June 9

    Welcome. Folding laundry, matching nuts and bolt, puzzles, my mom loves you-tube, setting the table, coloring books, sorting pictures, maybe some dinner prep, Wood craft project kits like you might find at hobby lobby. I have so many pictures. I sorted some of the pictures into piles for each child and gave them to them. I was stuck sorting through my mom’s pictures and mil pictures. It’s not fun. Hopefully this makes it a bit easier for my kids when I’m gone. You can also use the search at the top of the page to look through old discussions on this topic. I know it’s been mentioned before.

  • dancsfo
    dancsfo Member Posts: 386
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Member
    edited June 9

    A doctor suggested some puzzles appropraiate for the disease stage, so maybe they can suggest something. There are some puzzles that are simple and safe (wooden, not sharp) for children that can be repurposed and are available from many sources. However, I think a puzzle may not satisfy a need to be "helpful" or "useful", so @H1235 's suggestion to setting the table or sorting pictures seems to meet those needs too. It really does depend on the person. Some people would be very happy putting together puzzles. But a moderate stage PWD may get bored if they remember solving it before.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more