Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Brain autopsy

easy23
easy23 Member Posts: 443
Sixth Anniversary 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
Member

Is anyone planning on getting a brain autopsy on their LO once they enter stage 8? If so, how did you go about making the arrangements? I think I would like to know what dementia(s) my DH had for the sake of his children and grandchildren.

Comments

  • annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 817
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    I would have liked to have this done, but had not thought about it ahead of time and my DH died very suddenly from a heart attack. Because it was so unexpected I wasn’t think about it at all in the ER. Good for you for thinking ahead - especially with kids and grandkids that could possibly benefit from the information. We do not have children, but for research purposes, I wish I would have donated his brain to science.

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 514
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Hi, @easy23

    Not sure. DH and I are organ donors when the time comes - it is on our drivers’ licenses. I think if asked, my husband would want his brain donated for research (like @annie51 said). But not sure if I want autopsy. DH’s maternal grandmother, his mother, and sister all had dementia and his biomarkers are positive for Alzheimer’s disease. So I don’t think we’d learn anything new.

  • blacksparky
    blacksparky Member Posts: 424
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    If you’re asking about donating the brain of someone with Alzheimer’s disease for research after death, that is possible and highly valuable for advancing dementia research. A donated brain can support hundreds of studies and can also help provide a definitive diagnosis of the type of dementia involved.
    A very important point: arrangements usually need to be made before death, and the donation coordinator often needs to be contacted within a few hours after death.  

    • Alzheimer’s Association — They provide information and can help you find an appropriate brain bank or research center. 
  • Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 473
    500 Care Reactions Fifth Anniversary 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    Member

    I had an autopsy for my DW’s brain. I made an extensive post a month or so ago. In a follow up post in the same thread I answered a question about the process I went through.

  • easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 443
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    thanks for the info. I am searching the website for previous posts on the subject.

  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 817
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more