Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Advice for MC Front Desk Receptionist?

ARIL
ARIL Member Posts: 559
500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions
Member

A less critical question than usual, but I am interested in your views:

This week I will have a meeting at my dad’s MC, and I will be asked a routine question about my experience as a frequent family visitor.

The facility has two receptionists. One is marvelous: kind, compassionate, genuine.

The other, newer person is irritating at best. It is necessary to interact when signing in. The irritating one says as I am heading inside, with a singsong chant: “Have a GREAT visit!” (Yeah, right, I am at an MCF…) When I am signing out, it’s “Did you have a good VIS-IT?!”

I have said, “Fine” or “It was OK.” Response: “That’s GREAT!” I have tried, “Not really.” Response, with an overly pained expression: “Oh, I am SO SORRY!” (Really? Do you even know my name?)

If I am going to mention this to the director at all, I would like to have some suggestions of a different, better approach.

What would you like someone to say to you in such a situation?

(The skilled receptionist takes the time to learn the names of residents and their frequent visitors. She says things like “Hello, [My Name].” She comments on the weather or an upcoming holiday. Sometimes she says, in what I hear as a genuinely caring tone, “How is your dad doing?” Or more often, just “How are you today?”)

The whole “GREAT visit” business is bugging me a lot, and as my dad declines further, this interaction is just going to get more and more annoying. Seriously, I can imagine going there when my dad is near death. I don’t need the GREAT visit shtick. I don’t need it now.

And yes, I feel petty for bringing it up. But I figure you’ll have ideas for how a family member wants to be treated in these circumstances.

Comments

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,339
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member

    I can definitely see your point. I imagine this person is just trying to be upbeat and positive. I think you might start by acknowledging this first. Maybe even point out that in another setting this interaction might be nice. Then follow that with an explanation of how uncomfortable/irritating these kinds of excessively upbeat interactions are in a sad depressing situation. I also have no patience for overly happy people in a sad sitting. Read the room people!

  • jen ht
    jen ht Member Posts: 235
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member

    Hi @ARIL

    See how this lands for you…

    https://www.planandcare.com/blog/front-desk-staff-quality-care-long-term-care-facilities

    Could be a nugget or two to help with wording?

    Wishing you well

    Jen 💜

  • jen ht
    jen ht Member Posts: 235
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member

    I'll be curious to hear how your meeting goes. If you think of it, let us know how the conversation went. I hope they will be open to hearing this feedback.

    Wishing you well,

    Jen

  • ARIL
    ARIL Member Posts: 559
    500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member
    edited June 17

    Thank you both for responding!

    Alas, the meeting was not quite what I had imagined it would be. It was exclusively about my dad’s disease progression, and the facility director was not even there (I met with a nurse). It was a lot different from the meeting with the same title I had last year.

    So this topic did not even get broached, and it seems like the sort of thing I would rather bundle into a broader discussion. There’s a danger of my seeming whiny, and there are certainly bigger issues to deal with day to day that are about my dad’s care rather than my experience in the lobby.

    I do, however, now have ideas about how to approach the subject when the opportunity presents itself. Thank you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more