Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Venting

mom2boyz
mom2boyz Member Posts: 10
5 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Anniversary First Comment
Member

My DH has early onset Alzheimer's. He is only 57. He is a wonderful man but it's getting more difficult to discuss anything with him and I'm having a hard time with dealing with it.

Anything I suggest, he shoots down. I wanted to check the gutters due to water pooling in front of the garage and he just made little "comments" the entire time. I just told him I want to look for easy fixes first.

He's been needing a new phone for a couple of years, I say let's go get one and he always said he wants to research but then we don't. I say let's go to our phone provider to see what they have, no, he wants an unlocked phone. Tonight I said let's go wherever phones are sold and get him one, no I want to go to our phone provider.

I realize this is so insignificant but this type of thing happens multiple times daily over any scenario you could think of and it's really breaking me down.

We have been blessed so far along this horrible path so I feel like I have no right to vent but am I making any sense?

Thank you for listening/reading

Comments

  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 3,273
    1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary
    Member

    I wouldn’t get him a new phone since 1) he probably won’t be able to figure out how to use it .., or wont retain that knowledge for every long… which will just cause more frustration and headaches for you. 2) He doesn’t seem to be able to follow through on deciding what to get … see number 1.

    Apply that to most everything involving him.

  • mom2boyz
    mom2boyz Member Posts: 10
    5 Care Reactions 5 Likes First Anniversary First Comment
    Member

    Thank you all for the wonderful advice! I don't feel so alone anymore.

    Storycrafter - you are so right about it being like a switch. Describes it perfectly! I handle it some days better than others.

    I try to just do things that need to be done. It's difficult when he is always here checking on what I am doing.

    I worry about him being able to handle a new phone also. But his phone can't even handle the minimal things he does on it now. I will just put a hold on that until he actually has me drive him to the phone store.

    This really is an amazing group! ❤️

  • LearningCurve
    LearningCurve Member Posts: 98
    25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary
    Member

    Phones, ugh. I had a terrible accident 8 years ago. I am a low tech person (and I like it that way) who long ago lost my love of phones, so I am speaking for myself. It's just me and my DH and 2 dogs in these mountains. After my accident, I got a simple emergency type phone from "Lively." I started with their flip phone then switched to their smart phone. Just sharing this in case it is helpful to someone here.

  • Call me Gram
    Call me Gram Member Posts: 181
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Member

    Gram: Want to sit out on the deck?

    DH: Oh no, it's too cold outside.

    Gram: Okay, if you need me I'll be out back.

    Gram goes out and sits on the deck chair

    A couple minutes later, DH comes out and sits down

    Gram: Can I get you your fleece jacket?

    DH: No, it's too warm out here.

    A couple minutes pass and DH gets up to go inside

    Gram: You okay?

    DH: Yes, it's just too cold out here.

    🤣🤣🤣

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more