Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memory

My DH has had major short term memory loss. I have realized that it has been about 20 years he has lost. Recently he asked how my Mom was doing. She has passed 25 years ago in a car crash. He then asked if I talked to my sister “Teri”. My sister is Carol. Teri is his ex- wife’s sister. He hasn’t talked to her in maybe 40 years. We have been together for at least 37+ years. These things has known. He is in 4-5 stages.

I guess what I am asking is this normal? The disease is progressing.

Comments

  • Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 987
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Yes, to be expected. The person will lose their memories on a 'last in, first out' basis. They become untethered to time.

    If you think this is something very sudden or he's made a big leap, you could take him in for a urinalysis so they can rule out a UTI or other cause.

  • GloriaV
    GloriaV Member Posts: 12
    First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment
    Member

    I know to watch for that also. Just seems like things are progressing. It’s to the point if I get upset or don’t agree then he gets angry. Not physical but upset

  • Chance Rider
    Chance Rider Member Posts: 390
    250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    @GloriaV

    It sounds like your husband is progressing on a similar timeline as my husband. He is also late 4 early 5 and just a couple of months ago forgot how many children he has, and how many sisters he has, as well as what their names are.

    Until the doctor prescribed Sertraline he would get very agitated and angry, though never (so far) physical. The Sertraline has made a big difference.

    I’m sorry you’re on this journey but glad you found this community. The people posting here help me prepare for what might come next and validate my feelings.

  • GloriaV
    GloriaV Member Posts: 12
    First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment
    Member

    Thank you for responding. It’s just sad. I know it’s the disease and not his fault. It’s just really hard.

  • JulietteBee
    JulietteBee Member Posts: 620
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    @GloriaV, we feel your pain. It is indeed hard watching a loved one be diminished by this awful disease.

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    @GloriaV

    A lot of people travel back in time in the middle and later stages of dementia. It can be hard on both caregiver and the PWD when it is triggering.

    HB

  • JPJardinel
    JPJardinel Member Posts: 67
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    This must be such a strange kind of heartache, watching him reach for the people who matter but pull the wrong ones out of time. Twenty years gone is a lot, but what really gets me is how specific the confusion is, asking about your mom like she's still here, mixing up your sister with someone from decades before you two were even together. There's something almost tender in that even though it's so hard, like his mind is still trying to connect with the people who mattered, just grabbing from the wrong years to do it. I think what makes this so lonely is that you're the one holding the real timeline while he's living in pieces of one that doesn't quite include you the same way anymore. From what I understand, this kind of jumping between decades and people is a normal part of how the disease moves through these stages, so please don't feel like something unusual or alarming is happening, you're just watching the disease do what it does.


    I got my references here:
    https://hopebridge.care/alzheimers-memory-loss-confusion-faces-and-time-blur/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer's_disease
    https://www.aarp.org/caregiving/home-care/spousal-caregiver-relationship-advice/

  • macteachr
    macteachr Member Posts: 2
    First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment
    Member

    @GloriaV My husband became very agitated after having a pacemaker implanted. Thank goodness for his primary care doc who prescribed Sertraline! I highly recommend considering this or something similar.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more