Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to answer, "I need to go home."

Jeff H
Jeff H Member Posts: 223
250 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
Member

My DW almost every day says, "I need to go home." I tell her you are home and that everything is fine and you are safe. She replies with, "No, I need to go home." I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has any suggestions. Thank you.

Comments

  • Sunfish47
    Sunfish47 Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I have this same issue with my DH. At some point everyday, he will express to me that he will be leaving to go home. Or that he wants me to help him get home. Or that his mother (deceased 45 years) is nearby and that he needs to see her. I think this is just general anxiety. He is still aware enough, sometimes, to realize the functions he’s no longer able to do. It’s gotta be a terrible feeling to be aware of what you’ve lost. Our pcp gave me a referral to a neurologist so I can get him an Rx for something to calm him.

  • kingsleysl
    kingsleysl Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Member

    Many people with dementia say this, even when they are already at home. Instead of correcting her, try focusing on the feeling behind the statement. You could respond with something like, “Tell me about home,” or “What do you miss about home?” Sometimes they are looking for comfort, familiarity, or reassurance rather than a physical place. Redirecting the conversation to a favorite memory, a calming activity, or a snack can also help reduce anxiety. Every person is different, but validation often works better than repeatedly explaining that they are already home.

  • Snipe
    Snipe Member Posts: 37
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I’ve also read that they may be thinking about their childhood home or another home that they may have lived in. I answer my DW with either it’s to late or to early, to dark, haven’t eaten yet, raining out etc. I also tell her I will take her wherever she wants to go later or tomorrow. At times I have to tell her I will let everyone know she is here so they won’t worry. It usually works.
    Earlier in this sad journey she used to tell me she had to leave because she didn’t want neighbors to think she was staying with me all night.

  • Chance Rider
    Chance Rider Member Posts: 390
    250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Thank you for sharing your tip about telling your DW that you’ll let everyone know where she is so they won’t worry. We’re not “there” yet but filing this away for when the time comes.

  • /STEVE
    /STEVE Member Posts: 17
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    I used, we are house sitting and need to stay one more day. we will go home tomorrow.

  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 953
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    It's heartbreaking for us to hear for sure, but it's a very common question from PWDs, sometimes even if they are home and not in MCF. You already have some great suggestions here. I started out with "when the doctor says it's ok" or "I'm working on it" or "Soon, in a few days (fill in a bogus # of days)." Chances are they won't remember your answer regardless, and this will repeat. Sometimes, it may stop for a short while before it repeats.

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 514
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    I think I saw the same video as you @blacksparky My husband JUST started saying that he ‘wanted to go home’. I came up with “Hey, I am here with you and we are okay. As long as we are together, this is all that matters. Let’s stay here for now and (have some dinner or snack or watch tv) and talk more tomorrow. I got you!” So far letting him know he is safe and that I am here for him seems to be working.

  • persevere
    persevere Member Posts: 350
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    We passed through this stage (I can’t believe it) several years ago. And it’s true, they probably aren’t talking about their actual home. Just a moment in time when they felt safe. She also used to talk about needing to be with her mom or dad who were long gone. Sometimes I would remind her of that and she would seem to acknowledge it. Other times she was just persistent. It’s all textbook. Just be gentle and say ok, we will tomorrow, it’s too late today. Usually that’s good enough.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more