In between stages
Comments
-
I am so sorry to hear of your distressing situation. For one to follow so quickly on the heels of the other is heartbreaking.
My first suggestion would be to hide all forms of payment: credit card, debit card, and checkbook. Deactivate PayPal, Zelle, Venmo, Klarna, etc.
I also find it reprehensible to lie to my mother, but with this disease, "Therapeutic Fibbing" seems to be the only way to break our loved one from fixating and obsessing over any one idea.
Secondly, you may tell her her passport has expired. She may ask for proof and request to see it.
Thirdly, you could tell her international travel rules have changed and it now requires a valid driver's license AND passport. As her license was revoked, she would not be able to travel.
If she is as shrewd as you say she still is, here is the most drastic of measures you can take. If you know her travel days are permanently over, go ahead and deface the passport in some way and tell her she will need a new one. Tell her you will help her to get one but keep kicking the can down the road due to scheduling conflicts and until that fixation abates, which it will.
My mom was fixated on her bank account. That was one of the most frustrating 9 month period of my caregiving journey. Now, it is as if she forgot she even have bank accounts.
Last ditch effort if all else fails, go behind her back and thwart her plans. Request that her doctor writes a letter explaining why she cannot fly. After obtaining the letter, submit it to the airlines and use it as reason to cancel her flight and have it refunded.
All the best and please update when you can. We are glad you found your way to our group.
0 -
Welcome. I’m so sorry you need to be here. Many with dementia have anosognosia. This creates so many problems. We all want our loved ones to maintain their independence and be happy, but safety has to be the most important concern. This means taking away independence. This in turn not only causes unhappiness, but anger. But it has to be done. Given the symptoms you are describing, I believe your mom has way too much independence. In my opinion at this stage she should have absolutely no access to her money. Credit cards, debit cards, bank statements should all disappear. Let her think she lost them. If she has no access to a card she shouldn’t be able to book a flight. To be honest a plane ticket purchase may be pretty minor, some here have lost huge sums of money because a loved one had too much access to money and made very poor decisions. Get her a phone that doesn’t have internet access! Take away anything else with internet access. You should be managing all medications and she should have no access to it until you set it in front of her to take. My mom is also at that limbo stage where her memory is still pretty good, but decision making is very very poor. It’s hard! Mom is very angry with me. But I know she is safe. I would talk with her doctor about medication to help with her anger and anxiety. I would recommend you no discuss her limitations or why she can’t do various things. Side step as much as possible. As I said, let her think she lost her cards, disable the phone and tell her you will replace it for her. If she gets paper copies of bank statements switch to online statements. I can see why putting the trip off a few weeks wouldn’t work. My mom always wants to be taken to her house. If I were to tell her we will go next week, she would remember and be waiting by the door. What about putting it off for a year. It’s not a good time of year to visit, we can’t find your passport and I’m having trouble getting it replaced, you don’t have the money for the trip, there was big storm let’s wait til damage has been repaired, flights are very expensive this time of year… Get creative. I will attach a few resources that may be helpful.
0 -
I would blame the neurologist. Mom- the neurologist said you couldn’t drive AND that you can’t fly. Not just that you can’t travel alone, but that you can’t fly. Make up why - mobility, language, need physical therapy, etc, etc.
Also-if you are in the USA- use political unrest as an excuse to avoid international travel - various wars, police actions, sanctions, etc.
0 -
I wrote this some time ago, but it didn't post. My answer would be some contrast to others. I would help her plan the trip for "in the Spring," or "in a few months," or "when the international situation improves." Say yes whenever you can for whatever you can, and planning a trip for some future date is both safe and happy. Some say the planning is more joy than the trip.
I would also remove all contact with money and credit; lock her credit if you can so she can't be scammed. She needs supervision, but with all the losses she is experiencing, planning for a trip is something she can still do.
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help