PWD easily startled
I find that a mid-stage PWD is easily startled recently. If I appear in their path if they are walking, a PWD is startled and surprised.
A quick web search shows it's common as their vision and processing ability deteriorates. It's not clear what type of caregiver action can avoid this. One suggestion is to approach clearly from their front, and also announce their name so they know where the caregiver is. I want to avoid materializing in their view out of the blue. As with much dementia, it's not consistent. PWD can detect me by sound quite well one moment and at other times, they do not realize I've arrived for minutes on end.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Comments
-
I’m sorry I have no suggestions. But I have noticed my mom startles easily. I didn’t realize it could be dementia related. I should have known, isn’t it always dementia related. She is more easily startled by sound. She seem to be extremely jumpy and very easily startled by almost any loud or unexpected sound.
0 -
Perhaps this article will be helpful. If you are not aware of her, Teepa Snow is a dementia expert and has many useful videos on YouTube, as well as a website.
https://teepasnow.com/blog/why-a-person-living-with-later-stage-dementia-startles-so-easily/
1 -
I experienced similar things with my sister. I first noticed her not seeing me around mid-stage 5, her peripheral vision was almost non-existent, and she almost seemed to zone out for about 30 seconds or so. She really couldn't see me unless I stood right in front of her.
What I ended up doing was to move slowly, and when I got close to her I'd say "Hi Peggy" and then I'd step in front of her where I was in her direct line of sight. After the "hi Peggy", I'd just keep talking so that she'd know I was still there, and I'd always do that until I stepped in front of her. She always recognized my voice, so I was never scary to her.
If I didn't do that, she'd startle. I also stopped stopped touching her (like touching her arm or hand) unless I was right in front of her because that would startle her too.
"Materializing" is a good word for it - and things materializing out-of-the-blue might be scary.
1 -
@Bowerbird Thanks for the Teepa Snow reference. Her lessons are quite useful.
@GothicGremlin Thanks for your experiences with Peggy. Nice to continue to hear from you on the forum.
People try to simulate a PWD's experience with things like putting on special shoes or distorting glasses, but they won't help me understand how their brain processes things. I think it must be very scary or frustrating when things don't work as expected (because they forgot how to use it), or their surroundings keep surprising them.
1
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
