Getting into bed
Long story short Doug now has a hospital bed so I ordered a twin bed and mattress so I could sleep beside him. I had taken my mattress upstairs to the game room to sleep in the meantime. The first two nights went fine. Then Monday night he got up around 11 to use the bathroom and I heard him fall in the bedroom. So I moved to the downstairs recliner to sleep. About 3:00 he got up again to use the bathroom and once again fell next to the bed. Last night I heard him fall about 11:00 so I slept on the floor beside him. When he got up at 4 to use the bathroom I quickly realized the reason he was falling was he can no longer figure out how to get on the bed and lay down. Sad how something which seems so simple to us is not.
Comments
-
My DH has a hospital bed because he kept falling getting in/out of our bed. The only problem he has with the hospital bed is that he sits too far toward the end of the bed when he gets into bed and doesn’t have room for his feet when he pulls his legs in due to the footboard. So if I don’t help him, he ends up falling asleep diagonally on the mattress with his legs halfway off the bed. This is due to the rail on the side, although its only along a 1/3 portion from the head of the bed. I now have a bed alarm that lets me know when he gets out of bed. I’m also about to purchase a baby monitor with video and sound. Would those things help in your situation?
4 -
That is a sad confronting problem. It’s one I have been contemplating I am usually aware when DH gets up to either wander or use the bathroom, he sometimes stands at the bedroom door just looking at it, so I get up and open it for him. Maybe he is forgetting how or why he should open the door. With the bed I think I’d remove the bed frame and put the mattress Japanese style straight on the floor. It would be comfortable, cosy and safe. My DH sometimes ends up at an odd angle across the bed and if our Schnoodle has decided to sleep on the bed too it makes it rather squishy but somehow we wriggle around and manage. Ha ha “there were 3 in the bed and the middle one said roll over, roll over” 🎶 Sorry I know it’s no laughing matter but what else can you do.
3
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
