progression of disease
my DH has been kind and fun and compliant although he needs 24-hour care.. but now he sits on the couch humming and staring for hours. i try to offer activities and he says no. the past two days at bedtime he has accused me of having an affair and says I need to leave the house. i just agree to leave and the next morning he has forgotten. This is scary. any suggestions?
Comments
-
you are doing great! You responded correctly . Leave activities out but don’t ask if wants to do them. If you do some he might join you but he may not .( hugs)
4 -
My DW used to love games and word match but about a year ago she just refused to do anything but sit in recliner and watch tv. I think it’s just part of the disease as it progressed. Since your DH hums maybe try turning on the radio to his favorite music. Just a thought.
4 -
Music is the one thing that really seems to perk my Mom up. She’ll bob her head, do some toe tapping and even sing along on occasion. Sometimes we try to do name the artist while the song is on.
5 -
Music can help many. It did for my DW. Television became a problem as she thought it was reality regardless of the program and it upset her. As she advanced she began to sit and stare more and more. It is heartbreaking but I would just sit beside her and hold her hand and gently talk to her and ignore anything and everything else that may have needed to be done. I tried the simplest type of toys for autistic children and she found the things that look like jelly worms for fishing her favorite. She would tie them in knots over and over as a "creation" of her own and I would praise it which brought her some pleasure. It becomes more and more quiet as the progression moves forward and we simply sit together. How I wish I could sit with her again but….
2 -
I have found that it is best to just go with the flow. Offer activities but if he says no that is alright. If he his making accusations at bedtime he could be sundowning or be overly tired. I would just leave him be.
1
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help