Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another question about progression

Belle60
Belle60 Member Posts: 133
100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions Second Anniversary
Member

My DH's agitation and aggressive type behavior seemed to have subsided a lot. He actually got in the shower willing the other day and did not fight it. He has been much more agreeable. He has been on Serequel since December so I can't say it is the medication. The neurologist mentioned that when the behaviors stop that can sometimes mean he progressing. He does seem more confused and constantly asks me "where we going?" This change is throwing me for a loop wondering what am I missing. Anyone else experienced this? It almost seems like he is getting better…I know that is not true and I feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Comments

  • marier
    marier Member Posts: 168
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    I agree with Timmyd somethings get easier and some things get harder. Progression of the disease I believe takes many different forms.

  • Snipe
    Snipe Member Posts: 41
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments First Answer
    Member

    I can’t figure it all out yet either. DW took a shower yesterday afternoon on her own. I was very shocked. Also took her morning meds I put out no problem. This morning we were back to “put a pill in your mouth, swallow it with water “ routine. We haven’t had to go with disposals yet but I have gone to the washable panties for leaks. No push back on those yet.

  • Belle60
    Belle60 Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions Second Anniversary
    Member

    Thanks everyone. We were out yesterday and I noticed his walk has slowed down quite a bit. And I have to watch him swallow his pills or he will pocket them in his mouth. He seems to be talking less except in the evenings—when I am trying to watch my shows! Progression of this disease doesn't seem to be linear and we just have to be prepared for anything.

  • blacksparky
    blacksparky Member Posts: 426
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    What you have described regarding the pills is exactly what my DW did. My DW has had several seizures and through each one the DR put her on Keppra to avoid future seizures. I thought we had the right dosage as she hadn’t had a seizure for over 9 months, then another one came. Long story short I would hand her medication to take each day and watched her put them into her mouth, but I guess she was pocketing them. I found out when I was attempting to unclog our bathroom sink. When I took the piping off under the sink there was a ton of pills just sitting there. I now have to watch her swallow the pills and open her mouth to make sure.

  • persevere
    persevere Member Posts: 353
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    My wife basically just chews her pills now. She has no idea.

  • Belle60
    Belle60 Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions Second Anniversary
    Member

    If I don't say to him "swallow your pill" and watch him he will sometimes chew it. I can't imagine it tastes good.

  • pmiles1124
    pmiles1124 Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Member

    Reading all the comments has been an eye opening. I have been through all of it, taking meds, showers and most of all I liked preparing for the next shoe. Let me tell my DH showered without me (yeah), taking his meds,hooray! Otherwise, my DH has been sleeping more than usual. Normal ? Or Not?

    I really need a support group. I posted yesterday and did not get a response.

    God Bless You All and Your Loved One.

  • persevere
    persevere Member Posts: 353
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    a lot of times I’ll put the pill in food. She doesn’t seem to mind. I guess I could crush it but I don’t think it matters

  • Belle60
    Belle60 Member Posts: 133
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions Second Anniversary
    Member

    I think sleeping more is expected with this disease. But it could be different for each person with dementia. Some nights my DH wants to go to bed at 630 and other nights he will keep getting up to sort his socks. I have to keep telling him to get in bed and go to sleep.

  • ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 441
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    My Dh went for a couple of weeks of only sleeping about 8 hrs a night. Now he is back to about 10 and taking a nap through the day. He was going to bed about 8pm now he is back to about 5 no later than 6. You never know with this disease what is normal. I just go with the flow.

  • Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 953
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    Symptoms and behavior come and go at will. No warning sign. Nothing. Even the medical community can only guess. Nothing is for sure until the end, and even at that it's different for everyone. Lucky are those who have found the right meds to mediate these behaviors.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more