Alzheimer's Quirk?
The person whom I assist who has Alzheimer's has a quirk that I am wondering whether is Alzheimer's-related. I go for walks with them, and when they spot something on the ground, they pick it up and take it home. Some things they have spotted are a hair tie, a nickel, a small velcro strap, etc. Recently, they spotted a little plastic stretchy girl's bracelet. They then stopped a little girl on her bike to ask her if she wanted it. She shook her head. They then asked her mother if she wanted it to give to the girl, and she said no thank you. Today they spotted a plastic bottle cap and picked it up, and carried it a few steps, and then handed it to someone passing by and asked them to put it in the garbage (even though we were just steps from a garbage can). Today we encountered a garbage bag that had been torn open, and the contents had been strewn around (a couple of full dog poo bags that were still knotted at the top, some empty paper cups and straws, etc.) and they picked it all up with their bare hands and walked it over to the garbage receptacle. This behavior seems quirky to me, and I'm wondering if it is a symptom of their dementia. I don't feel comfortable with it because touching random stuff is unsanitary, and I don't think it is proper for them to do things like ask people to toss things in the trash or to offer a bracelet to a child they don't know.
Comments
-
It's quirky to people without dementia. To someone with dementia, this is just normal. There's no such thing as normality in a person with dementia.
4 -
yes, my DH does this. I have learned to carry hand wipes in my purse. We no longer go to places where other people are because he will engage in conversation and become inappropriate and not respond to my redirection. We stroll during the week through a church parking lot and he picks up all sorts of things . I eventually collect everything without him seeing and throw it all away.
2 -
"Hunting and gathering" is listed in the DBAT as dementia behavior in early Stage 5.
Link to DBAT:
4 -
Good morning and everything everyone said before is true, especially that the abnormal will be their (and yours!), new normal.
1 -
What a good idea to carry hand wipes! I'll start doing that. Thank you.
0 -
Ditto, @FillyRider My DH does the same, with the exception of handing them off to others. He brings everything home. Another thing he’s been doing the last year is commenting on every child we see. Children that are under 5. Tells the parent, usually the mom, how adorable they are. Which they are. But these are complete strangers and it’s not something he ever did before in our “normal” days.
1 -
that is so interesting! A month ago, I had moved my DH into memory care after 6 years of caregiving for him at home. My daughter’s 7 yr old son has visited him and engaged with many other residents playing board games and chatting and they all love him. Some even asked him when he’s coming back to visit. There’s something definitely to it, perhaps a connection with how they see the world?
1
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
