Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

More changes

Groovy's Girl
Groovy's Girl Member Posts: 49
100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
Member

Comments

  • sfrsythe
    sfrsythe Member Posts: 47
    25 Likes Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments
    Member

    Changes are so hard on us all! It’s so difficult when you can’t communicate with our LO. I would suggest. Sit down for a moment, deep breathe, cry or whatever you need to do to settle yourself. Just a suggestion. It might help. Just know we’re here with a listening ear and heart.🤗

  • Ed's mom
    Ed's mom Member Posts: 103
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments
    Member

    He's supposed to keep it in for two weeks until he sees the urologist, you can't worry all night for two weeks, you'll collapse. Can you explain the situation to your PCP and ask for advise? I'm guessing it's a common problem with a common medication, you're not deciding a heart transplant. Not minimizing this but trying to see perspective, two weeks is a long time, you need some alternatives.

  • Groovy's Girl
    Groovy's Girl Member Posts: 49
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Yes, I will definitely try to talk to the PCP on Monday. Of course, they are closed on Friday. And you're right…I can't stress like this for two weeks. I don't think there's a medication for this and the one they mentioned at the ER is for an enlarged prostate which he does not have. and he won't take a pill anyway. Thank you. I appreciate it..

  • Groovy's Girl
    Groovy's Girl Member Posts: 49
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Thank you. I have calmed down and added another day to my caregiver.And there is a home health gal who is also gong to reach our doctor on Monday. I'm going to be calm and carry on.

  • trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 1,072
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Likes 1000 Comments 500 Care Reactions
    Member

    I have been through this more than once. It’s almost impossible for them to pull it out. There’s an inflated balloon holding it in. My husband had to wear his for a full month. Hooking up to the larger bag is very easy. If he normally sleeps through the night, it will hopefully be fine. My husband would wake up confused, I would explain what he had and usually fell back to sleep. I had far more problems during the day with that catheter. Here’s the alternative I was given after the 4 weeks if he had difficulty urinating. Self catheter. Since he couldn’t do it, I was taught how to insert a one time use catheter when he couldn’t urinate. Never thought I could do that but I quickly became a pro. So much easier and convenient than wearing one for 2 weeks. Either way, this is a progression that most likely will not just disappear. You can do it. Our doctors refused to remove his catheter until we saw the urologist. No easy fixes.

  • easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 443
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Sorry, it's a dilemma.

    Maybe you should check with his doctor and get a visiting nurse to help you.

    My DH had a catheter a few years ago and he pulled it out while he was in a SNF. It was the balloon one. They had to tape it to his body and put a diaper over the tubing. They also had the psychiatrist give him some medication to calm him down. I hope you have better luck!

  • Groovy's Girl
    Groovy's Girl Member Posts: 49
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I had many phone calls this afternoon. I AM having home health care in addition, I upped my caregiver/shower/respite days from 2 to 5. Then, I talked to the on call doctor for out PCP, and she suggested that we have it removed. Called the EMTs to transport him and it's out. I will follow up with the urologist and his PCP. Thank you all for your thoughts.

    p.s. He gets up all the time at night.

  • kath1054
    kath1054 Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    I’m so glad you upped your caregiver respite days from 2 to 5! You did great! Expensive, but your health & being able to shower is well worth it! I had a private nurse 3X week for 2 years. She saved my sanity. I was high stress constantly, even when I could leave the house, DH would throw a fit & then had heavy guilt. What helps me the most each time a new level happens, is remembering this disease is evil. Blame the evil disease.

  • trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 1,072
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Likes 1000 Comments 500 Care Reactions
    Member

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more