Frequent short naps
Lately, my wife (who is in midstage Alzheimer’s disease) has been taking frequent short naps all through the day. She’ll go to bed and snooze for 10 - 30 minutes, then get up and play solitaire on her iPad for a while, then go back to bed, and repeat all day. Sometimes she comes downstairs after a cat-nap and immediately goes back to bed.
She sleeps through the night just fine, so this isn’t a result of insomnia. I’ve told her doctor about this, and she isn’t concerned, but I am.
Is this behavior common among Alzheimer’s patients? Anyone have a similar experience? Any ideas?
Comments
-
My DW is in stage 6 now but had taken cat naps for a long time. She will doze off for 30 minutes or so and wake up to walk around the house folding clothes, washing the same dish for the third time, talking to herself in the mirror a or watches TV. She will doze off 2-3 times each day and will still sleep through the night. I think napping just recharges the brain.
3 -
I think Blacksparky is right. It is verily common among our loved ones. DW has always been a napper but it has evolved as the disease progresses. Several shorter naps during the day and then sleeps soundly throughout the night. For which I am very greatful…
2 -
My Mom falls asleep so many times during the day that there’s no way that I could possible keep count. She usually goes to bed around 9:30 or so and is up around 6:30. If we’re home, she falls soundly asleep by 8:30 - 9:00 for the first time. She falls very soundly asleep (usually sitting sort of upright, slumped to one side, mouth usually open) but rouses easily. If I had to guess, I would estimate that she sleeps at least 50-60% of the time that she is not in bed. It doesn’t seem to have any effect on her sleep at night. Have been told to expect that the sleeping will continue to increase. It’s pretty common in later stages of the disease. I believe it’s because their brains have to work so hard when they’re awake. I don’t think it’s cause for concern unless onset is new and sudden, it causes a disruption in nighttime sleep or they spend so much time in bed that they start to get pressure sores.
There have been several times that we have been on the go all day. When that happens and she doesn’t get to nap, she will sleep much longer at night.
3 -
Your post perfectly describes my husband’s sleep patterns, right down to his position when napping.
I also attribute the frequent naps to his brain being tired and is to be expected. We’re both better off when he naps often4
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help