Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Mom with dementia went downhill after Lexapro antidepressant was stopped

kenmtb
kenmtb Member Posts: 3
First Comment First Anniversary
Member

Hello-

Mom has been in a NH for about a year due to dementia. They are doing a very good job but I had to fight to get her Lexapro antidepressant restarted after she went downhill very quickly a few months ago. She became very depressed and has not been eating or drinking much.

Before the stoppage, She would not eat a whole lot but was eating and drinking. She loved the sugar free cookies I sent very much.

My question is,
Will she regain appetite and strength after the Lexapro kicks in? Is there anything I can send her or door dash to help her eat better?

Thank you
Ken

Comments

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,339
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member

    Welcome. Antidepressants can take a while to take full effect. They are also usually started at a low dose and then increased after several weeks if the dose is not strong enough. Not knowing is so difficult. I hope things go well.

  • JulietteBee
    JulietteBee Member Posts: 620
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    As @H1235 said, an antidepressant begins to be therapeutic after 4-6 weeks. Unfortunately, you will have to wait and trust.

    As far as things you could gift her, I would recommend smoothies, shakes, protein drinks, and even Ensure or Nutrament. All are tasty, nutritious, and satisfying.

    All the best!🙏🏽

  • kenmtb
    kenmtb Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Member

    Thank you for the nice replies. I think she liked something called Boost. It is an energy milkshake. She was admitted to the ER yesterday for dehydration, electrolyte balance and high blood sugar. The main thing is to get her eating and drinking again then feeling more energetic. I was not happy about the staff stopping her antidepressants without notification. The loop will be tighter now.

  • kenmtb
    kenmtb Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Member

    Update: She seems to be doing a bit better after being released from the ER last week. I think her Lexapro will need some time to reach full effect. One thing I noticed lately is, even though she is sounding more upbeat, she seems to want to end the phone call within a few minutes. I am not sure if she does not want to talk or looses track of how long the conversation has been going.

    Has anyone run into this?

    Thanks.

  • kath1054
    kath1054 Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    Amazing to me that med changes are done without POA approval! That happened to my DH in the ER. They reach for their go-to meds and drop others. Not ok. I now call the ER during transit, I ask for the ER charge nurse and tell him/her what DH meds he can’t miss and what he’s allergic to. So important. ER staff have seen lots of ALZ, but they’re not trained for it. The whole event can be so frightening. I think an ER trip does cause setback, unfamiliar faces and environment, not a pleasant one, staff typically are very loud. It’s jarring. So glad to hear she’s happier already! Give her time to settle back in.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more