Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.
Do I Follow Her To Skilled Nursing Memory Care?
Lone Treer
Member Posts: 1 Member
My wife has mid-to-late-stage Alzheimer's disease and late-stage fibrotic lung disease. The doctor wants her to go to inpatient Skilled Nursing Member care for her declining lungs. She, of course, is resisting. The facility says I can rent a furnished apartment in Independent Living for 3 months as a transition at a substantial discount.
I would love to stay with her. But I worry that my being there might DELETED her adjustment to a new living situation. Or, maybe it would help make the transition?
Because she will be in a "non-restricted" room, she will have free rein to all areas of the facility and could, maybe theoretically, decide to try to find my room on her own if she felt she needed me. And, maybe she could but more likely not. Still, she could insist on me always taking her to my apartment to hang out. And maybe not want to leave? Anyone with any thoughts, suggestions or experience with such a transition? Thanks for your help!
Love to know if anyone has any advice or experience with this. Thanks for helping.
I would love to stay with her. But I worry that my being there might DELETED her adjustment to a new living situation. Or, maybe it would help make the transition?
Because she will be in a "non-restricted" room, she will have free rein to all areas of the facility and could, maybe theoretically, decide to try to find my room on her own if she felt she needed me. And, maybe she could but more likely not. Still, she could insist on me always taking her to my apartment to hang out. And maybe not want to leave? Anyone with any thoughts, suggestions or experience with such a transition? Thanks for your help!
Love to know if anyone has any advice or experience with this. Thanks for helping.
Tagged:
3
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 248 Caring Long Distance
- 207 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help