Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another wedding anniversary "celebrated"

JoseyWales
JoseyWales Member Posts: 651
Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
Member

Last weekend was our 34th anniversary. I celebrated it by feeding my husband pureed food for lunch, and then attending my sister-in-law's surprise 50th birthday party. No one knew it was my anniversary.

DH continues on in the very, very last stage of dementia at his nursing home. He may be at this point for years to come, I'm told. There's no declining from where he is now, except death, at this point. I suppose he could stop even swallowing the pureed food he's eating, but other than that I can't think of anything that could decline. Twice in the past 18 months both hospice and the nursing home thought he was at the end… he came back from those episodes. I recently found out that the diagnosis they're using is "degenerative neurological condition." Basically, no one knows exactly the problem with DH.

He's been in his facility for 4.5 years now. Staff has changed, and he's been moved out of the memory care side to the regular nursing side. Here's what's funny - the CNAs that work with him tell me all the time about things that DH has said. He doesn't talk. He makes a few sounds, but they're just sounds, and not made very often. When he was still able to talk, he didn't say the types of things that they're saying he might say. I haven't heard a real word out of him in over a year, maybe 2 years. I like that the CNAs think that he can say things - if they think that then they're going to talk to him more and treat him more like a person, I think.

I also find in this stage that it is easy to think that he knows more than he does. I clearly remember 5-6 years ago when he could still talk somewhat and move around a little. He couldn't follow the simplest of directions, he clearly didn't know who I was or who our son was, and what he said made no sense. But now that he's quiet, everyone tends to think that he understands everything going on around him and just isn't able to express himself. Even I find myself falling into that sometimes. I just wish I knew what he DID understand. My brain says "nothing". My heart says differently, even though I know it's just wishful thinking.

Still visiting 3-4 times a week. Still working full time. Still waiting to begin life after dementia. Still stuck and unable to move on. 18 years since the first visit to the doctor for memory issues. Over half of my long marriage has been dealing with dementia.

Comments

  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 651
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Yes! You are EXACTLY where I am! Except I play a game on my phone.
    My DH is 62. Except for his brain, he's in perfect health.

  • Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 899
    Sixth Anniversary 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    “Happy” Anniversary! Thank you for sharing your current update . Interesting diagnosis ; This whole disease is so bizarre.

  • Goodlife2025
    Goodlife2025 Member Posts: 492
    250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    So scary to think this can go on for some of us for so very long. DW in late stage 5 diagnosed at age 47 with early on set signs maybe back to 38 years old. Just turned 50 so really dealing with this for 12 years. It is scary but I try to wrap my mind around the fact that with no other medical issues she could linger in stages 6-7 for another excruciating 8-10 years. Not prepared for it but from this site I do understand now not all those with early onset go quickly.

  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 651
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I think about you, too. And you don't sound cold or callous. I have said many times that it is time for my husband to pass. I feel horrible when I say this, but his quality of life just isn't there. There is no coming back from this disease. Your husband passing when he did was a blessing.

    A very long time ago, during a discussion on here about "how long", I remember saying something to the effect of not being able to imagine doing this for 10 -15 years. Someone at the time reassured me that it wouldn't go on that long, because he was so young and those young always progress quickly. Well…..

    This stage is much "easier" than the earlier stages. I feel so much for those of you who are going through it still taking care of your loved ones at home. I wish there were more resources and support for dementia care.

  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 651
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I think this is one of the worst things about this disease - not knowing how long. Not knowing exactly what will happen. Not knowing how to make plans. Your wife is a little younger than my husband was, on that same path. It changes our entire adult life. What should be a time in our lives where we start enjoying "mid-life" is taken over with dealing with dementia. Making plans for a future and retirement - that's impossible. I missed out on trips with my husband, building our dream house like we planned, even enjoying the high school graduation of our son.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more