Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

first visit to inpatient geri psych hospital to see Dad today

jen ht
jen ht Member Posts: 235
100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
Member

Hello dear community,

This afternoon I get to see Dad for the 1st time at the geri psych hospital. I am glad to get to see him and much like going to MC I am wondering what might be awaiting me on the other side of that door.

He went Thursday during the night by ems transport from his MC. I scheduled this appt by speaking with his social worker Friday afternoon. She suggested that I ask to speak with his nurse today to ask what we are looking at in terms of his behaviors. So I called. She said he has been calm today and took his meds okay today. She added that the overnight nurse had to give him a shot of haldol because he was getting aggressive with staff. That was hard to hear.

The visits are only during specific times on 3 days (Sun, Wed, Fri) and for 20 minutes. Another social worker is present for the visits. I go this afternoon for our 1st visit.

Tomorrow will be my 1st conversation with his providers to hear about his current meds and an estimated discharge date.

I learned that they go through a med wash initially.

I hope he is doing as well as can be. I hope they are able to help him. I hope I can get through this visit okay.

Thanks for listening. Ugh. This is so hard. I have been managing mostly okay-ish so far, I think. I am definitely stressed though.

If you have helpful insights that you'd like to share, I would welcome your experiences. I know each pwd is different. I just feel like I am operating in the dark here.

I'm also thinking my notes here could someday give someone else in my current situation an example of a story of how one experience went.

Deep breaths. I will leave home to drive there in about an hour. It's in another city about 40 minutes away.

May we be well 💜

jht

Tagged:

Comments

  • April23
    April23 Member Posts: 211
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Member

    Oh goodness, I am holding a good thought for you today. Let us know how it went when you're ready to share. *hugs*

  • hhen
    hhen Member Posts: 7
    First Comment
    Member

    I hope things went well with your visit and that your dad is doing well. My mom was in two different behavioral health units, including geriatric psych. The limited visiting hours are tough for sure!

  • JulietteBee
    JulietteBee Member Posts: 620
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Oh, @jen ht, I am so sorry to hear of your upcoming visit and the stress it is causing you. Know that you are in my thoughts today and, as already stated, please let us know how your dear Daddy is doing.

  • cdgbdr
    cdgbdr Member Posts: 314
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member

    Sending hugs. Please share here. I have always feared this with DH.

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    I hope the visit is reassuring for you both.

  • kath1054
    kath1054 Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    I’m so glad you get to see him! Wishing you the best! I’ve recently moved my DH back to memory care after 2 weeks in the hospital and again experiencing issues with proper meds. What do you mean by med wash? I’m wondering if the our MC is doing that vs. saying his chart wasn’t pulling up, so the meds were skipped & his pain was sky high. This happened right after I moved him from home to MC in May, and again from the hospital to MC 2 days ago. BTW-I was caregiving for 6 years. When my DH had pain or had several strangers (fear) surround him, it sparked his aggression.

  • ARIL
    ARIL Member Posts: 559
    500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Right here rooting for you and your dear father. ❤️

  • jen ht
    jen ht Member Posts: 235
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member
    edited July 9

    Thank you all,

    He was pretty out of it during our visit. He said a few phrases here and there. He has been that way off and on for a while now during our regular visits.

    He was clean, which has not been the case at his MC on the weekends recently. I was thankful for that. (I changed him the other day bc the CNAs couldn't)

    I will be anxious to hear the providers thoughts tomorrow.

    Thanks again everyone. I appreciate your support.

    @kath1054

    for the med wash question - I also did not know at first and googled it: A psychiatric medication washout (or "med wash") is a medically supervised process of slowly tapering off current psychiatric medications to establish a true baseline of symptoms, clear drug interactions, or prepare for a new medication regimen. It must be done slowly under professional care to minimize severe withdrawal and destabilization risks.

    Take care,

    jht

  • jen ht
    jen ht Member Posts: 235
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member

    Hi,

    2nd visit today (they are extremely limited on visiting)


    Dad could not stay awake and is using a wheelchair now. 


    They called me yesterday about a fall. I would imagine the new meds make him sleepy and unsteady. 


    It's hard to know if this is an adjustment to meds that might fade or a new step in disease progression.


    He wanted to tell me something, but as we've seen recently, he couldn't express himself. I just acted like I could understand him. 🥺

    It's hard. 


    Take care,

    Jen 

  • ARIL
    ARIL Member Posts: 559
    500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    So hard. Thank you for letting us know how you and your dad are doing. We are with you.

  • jen ht
    jen ht Member Posts: 235
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member

    Two - that's hard. I hope they found something that helped her.

  • jen ht
    jen ht Member Posts: 235
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member

    Thank you. I know you have a lot on your plate with your mom's recovery and recent move too. 🙏

  • jen ht
    jen ht Member Posts: 235
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member
  • jen ht
    jen ht Member Posts: 235
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member

    Thank you HB. Thinking of you and your mom too.

  • jen ht
    jen ht Member Posts: 235
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member
  • jen ht
    jen ht Member Posts: 235
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member

    Thank you, ARIL, for both replies. You are close in my thoughts too.

  • jen ht
    jen ht Member Posts: 235
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member

    Adding another update after yesterday's visit.

    Dad was feeling so much better this visit.

    He was walking with assistance from a caregiver and he knew me today. I could understand a few phrases here and there too. One that he said was "that's my daughter" 🥹

    Monday is the discharge date plan.

    His memory care has suggested that he may need a smaller environment now. Sounds like I need to add him to some waitlists. That will be a task for another week.

    The constantly shifting sands of Alzheimer's.

    I think this may mean that they think it is time for skilled nursing. The exchange was via email and at the end of the workday, so I decided I will figure that part out next week.

    I was so glad to see him feeling better. And I also feel like I have another big "assignment" now.

    As always, I appreciate you all.

    I can visit him at the geri psych hospital again tomorrow.

    Take care,

    Jen

  • hhen
    hhen Member Posts: 7
    First Comment
    Member

    It's great to hear that he was doing better the other day! That must have been a relief. Sorry to hear about needing to find a different environment, shifting sands indeed.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more