Needing advice
Hello,
My mom, 87yrs old, with mixed dementia, Alzheimer's and vascular has continued to decline over the years and lives in a MC facility. I am an only child and visit regularly and her biggest advocate. She has been on hospice care since Oct. 2024. Her health has been like a roller coaster since that time. She is still able to walk and talk and eat, although, these can decline on occasion.
During the past 6 months, her lower lip and chin will quiver non stop with no control of stopping it. During the last 3 months, she began rocking. I realize the rocking is not uncommong and can be self soothing. However, her rocking comes with anxiousness and will also move to non stop walking up and down the halls without having a destination. Just needing the "walk". The last month or so, she is showing signs of involuntary jerking motions as if she is going to rock but doesn't quite make it to a full rocking motion, and even more recently she is starting to chew her food like a camel would. I fear she may have developed another condition, such as Parkinson's but not sure if I should take her to a neurologist. In speaking with hospice, they agree with what I've noticed and said they would have the PCP come take a look at her but that a neurologist would need to make any diagnosis such as Parkinson's. I can say, when she is at rest (sleeping), these movements disappear.
Has anyone else dealt with these changes in their loved one? Would it be worth it to know if she has Parkinson's and perhaps can be treated with something to help. Thank you in advance for any insight.
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help