Eating habits
My DH has a habit of eating his meal very quickly, like he's aftaid he'll never see food again. We have accidents of him knocking his glass over, dripping food everywhere, but so far no choking, which I worry about. He was a firefighter for 33 years and I know they all ate very quickly in case the alarm went off, so I'm not sure if it's more of an old time habit or not. Just wondering if anyone notices this issue with their LO. Any suggestions? At least I can't complain about his appetite!
Comments
-
Hi @Andi C Glad he still has a good appetite. I imagine eating fast is ‘old habit’. My DH eats one thing at a time and it usually sweet then starch then meat. Often the meat is untouched or only a few bites. I am learning to get some type of protein into him other ways - eggs, cottage cheese, protein shakes, and sometimes a chicken salad sandwich.
One item that worked for me was a plastic ‘to-go’ cup with handle. I put a straw in the hole on the top and that has almost eliminated spills. Unfortunately the messiness comes with this new territory. Think of small children and their eating.
1 -
So very true, thanks for the suggestions. I have a ton of those cups around, I will definetly get one out!
0 -
💝
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 699 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 403 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 248 Caring Long Distance
- 207 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help
