Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New to this

My wife was diagnosed with MCI about 5 years ago and was doing ok until recently. Her thought process is deteriorating right in front of me. I try to keep her motivated with walks and thinking exercising but she seems to be fading. I have promised to take care of her and I will be by her side. I have family that helps but they are baffled by the disease as I am.

Comments

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 230
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I agree you are doing wonderful things with her now. I suggest you do everything you can with her right now. Going to eat, visit family and friends, travel whatever you enjoy.

    We are 6 years in Dementia and can no longer do much. Right after diagnosis I read what I could and watched a lot of Dementia Care Giver help videos. Teppa Snow and Care Blazers were helpful. It prepared me (somewhat) for what was coming. I just recently started in an online support group and this site. I wish I would have started years ago. Sharing the journey with others seems to help. You are not alone.

  • BPS
    BPS Member Posts: 543
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    There is no get around it this disease sucks but this site with real life experience is a big help. Learning what you can from videos and book is very important but enjoying this time while you can still do some things is more important.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more