So tired
I’m a month into my broken ankle and foot and I am so tired. I am still not supposed to weight bear on the cast and since it’s my right foot I can’t drive. Let me just say I am trying every day to be thankful my DH is still able to walk and is NOT incontinent. But still….He does not understand half (or more) of what I say and when he does he can’t remember it long enough to get what I asked for. Example this AM I asked if he could carry my coffee into the living room (can’t do it with crutches). I then repeated the request 4 times. I did finally get my coffee but by then it was ice cold. Not the end of the world had I not gotten it but multiply this times 24 hours and there is no way I can stay off my foot entirely. He is bored as I can’t take him places etc. Anyway, remind me once I get this cast off to never complain again (need a smiley emoji here). This has been a lesson in patience as he has lost the ability to understand so much language and the longer I’m immobile the more chill I get. I know he just can’t help it and it’s me who has had to be the one to change so that has been the silver lining. But oof am I tired. I did however find a lovely helper for a few hours each day which has been a lifesaver.
Comments
-
Lethe, thanks for giving us an update, I have wondering how you are doing and healing. These are especially tough days for you and I can't imagine how I would manage life. You are doing great and it doesn't take a broken leg to get cold coffee upon request(s) around here. 😀 Sending you a virtual hug, a hot cup of coffee when you want it, and even more help. Its the 24/7 thing that is so exhausting.
4 -
I was recently very sick for over a week and it was the best thing that ever happened. Laying back and really seeing how our household does not run if I'm down was an eye opener. I was too sick to care, that was a good thing. But it prompted me to make backup plans for the dog and CVS. It was a good thing to only be able to watch.
Cold coffee is the worst, I hope you can stay off your foot but it must be hard. You have friends rooting for you here.
2 -
Glad you got some help. They make cup holders for crutches. Who knew?? Here's the link. Put the coffee in a spill proof insulated cup with tight fitting locking lid. Hope this helps. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cup+holder+for+crutches&channelId=500&clpRedir=Y&plpRedirect=mhFallback
2 -
thanks!
0 -
Being too sick to care is kind of the silver lining I guess. But I’m so sorry you had to be that sick to see what doesn’t get done. For me it was kind of an eye opener about how much I did without entirely even realizing it.
1 -
A friend gave me one for my walker. Never thought of putting it on the crutches!
0 -
I found a knee scooter to the the ideal thing for me during two different episodes of having to be non-weight bearing. I had a basket on the front of the scooter which I used to carry closed beverage containers or some snacks or even some laundry I needed to do. I also found it easier to work in the kitchen since I had the support of the scooter. This was a good number of yrs ago when DH was still quite capable but had started pulling away from things like cooking. Honestly the scooter was a godsend and not too expensive since I paid out of pocket on Amazon.
3 -
@Lethe
I was wondering how you would be getting on. Oof. It's a lot. Times like this my mantra is this, too, shall pass. I try. I try.
I agree about the knee scooter. A DF got through 6 weeks non-weight bearing using her desk chair.
HB2 -
yes the knee scooter has been very helpful.
3 -
Hi Lethe—I can really relate. Broke my wrist two weeks ago. I was just so over exhausted and frazzled. And yes, now it’s even harder in a cast. Know you are doing an amazing job and I am glad you are getting the in home help. I hope your ankle heals soon.
2 -
oh no! I hope your wrist heals quickly and that it wasn’t your dominant hand. Everything is harder with a cast. I feel for you.
2
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help

