Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Guardianship

Was wondering if anyone here had to go through the courts for guardianship when trying to place their spouse in MC, and how it worked out. My husband with AD has NPD, anasognosia and extreme paranoia/delusions. I am his sole caregiver and have almost reached the point where I can no longer handle him. I know that if I need to place him, it will not be a matter of dropping him off at lunch time and slipping out the side door while the nurse distracts him with icecream! In Florida, where we live, even if you have DPOA you can't force someone into a facility against their will…if they don't resist most MC facilities will accept a DPOA, but if they do resist a guardianship is required.

Comments

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 514
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Hi, @Bailey's Mom

    I did not know that. I suggest you contact the attorney who drew up your DPOAs and ask those questions. I think they would know a lot more about this. And I do hope you have some success. Sounds like you need a break.

  • Bailey's Mom
    Bailey's Mom Member Posts: 249
    500 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Member

    i am meeting with an atty who specializes in guardianship and difficult placements tomorrow for a consultation…I need to know what my legal options/liabilities are. My atty who drew up the DPOA's referred me as the new atty has extensive experience in this area.

  • annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 817
    500 Likes 500 Care Reactions 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    I also did not know about that law in Florida. I can’t offer any advice about guardianship because my DH was fairly easy to get into MC. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this and hope it won’t come down to guardianship, as that sounds like just another stress for you. Keep us posted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more