Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I would like some acknowledgment for all I do.

Barbie300
Barbie300 Member Posts: 68
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments
Member

My DH is in stage 3-4 and seems to not even realize thatI do everything around the house, including the usual cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, managing finances, investments, bill paying, car maintenance, etc. He is not at the stage of needing help with bathing, dressing but he needs help with his medication schedule and reordering meds. I don’t think he is out of it enough not to realize that I do everything, some of it he used to do. I would like for him to at least acknowledge that I’ve taken over all responsibilities and show some appreciation but he doesn’t. I don’t think he even realizes it. Sometimes he will say can he help with something but if I say yes, it is more work explaining what to do than actually doing it myself. I feel so unappreciated.

Comments

  • Barbie300
    Barbie300 Member Posts: 68
    100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments
    Member

    Thanks for all the comments. I know someone with dementia isn’t capable of acknowledging what we do but it’s hard to have a thankless job, as most of us realize. I don’t expect family and friends to understand bc they aren’t here on a full time basis and can’t possibly understand the stress. I still lov the posting called “The Cavalry Isn’t Coming”. If you haven’t read it, look it up on this site.

  • CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 785
    1,000 Care Reactions 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    Oh yes. This journey is a heavy and often thankless lift and dementia is a relentless bully. You are doing so much and making an incredibly meaningful difference in the life of your DH. We know this, even if it's beyond your husband's understanding now.

    Hang in there.

    Cindy

  • sgowans
    sgowans Member Posts: 11
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Member
  • sgowans
    sgowans Member Posts: 11
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Member

    we all are in the same boat. I am in the middle of another day where the end of day when you want to relax is constant movement. Be strong because yes “the cavalary is not coming “. People need to live it to understand it.

  • Lilydaisy
    Lilydaisy Member Posts: 117
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Member

    I think I understand your feelings, but this is not your time. It is his. This requires total sacrifice. The only way out is to place him in a MC facility and your self-worth and ego might be intact.

    I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I am in that sacrifice mode now. I feel blessed that I can return love to someone who gave so much to me and us. Others may be so direct, but I suspect they feel the same way.

    I wish you the best in this difficult time. There is no easy way out.

  • Grandot
    Grandot Member Posts: 29
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Member

    Ditto. I’m feeling the same way tonight. I just lost patience and feel badly about it. Sometimes I think it would just be better to hibernate and not try to have a life of getting out and doing things.

  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 1,385
    500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments
    Member

    We will acknowledge you and your work and efforts. If you are extraordinarily lucky you may have a family member or close friend that can see the work you do for him. You may have a spiritual connection that provides reassurance that your care and your actions matter. What you will not have is a spouse that understands or cares about what you do for him. The brain just doesn't work like that any more.

  • Barbie300
    Barbie300 Member Posts: 68
    100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments
    Member
  • Barbie300
    Barbie300 Member Posts: 68
    100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments
    Member
    edited July 18

    I’m fully aware that expecting validation is not realistic but I thought this site was a chance to vent my feelings. From a few comments it seems that some people think I’m being selfish and should only be appreciative of what my DH was in the past and I should not any feelings about wanting validation even if it’s not realistic. It’s unrealistic to expect to win the lottery too, but that doesn’t mean a lot of people don’t say they would like to.

  • Lilydaisy
    Lilydaisy Member Posts: 117
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Member

    I'm sorry that I made you feel guilty. That was not my objective at all. My intention was to remind you that you are being pulled into a new life that you wouldn't have chosen, and that things won't be like they used to be. None of us are living the life we want, but we are all forced to accept that and make the best of it.

    Venting can be helpful and this forum enables us to do that. But most of us wake up the next morning and still have to make our spouse's life the best we can, regardless of whether our spouse acknowledges our efforts. Your love and caring for your husband WILL be acknowledged, not by him but by others who know and love you. And you will be gratified by what you are enduring and knowing you are caring for your husband better than anyone else could do.

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,339
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member

    There are caregivers out there that don’t understand this. It’s good that you do. Venting your frustration is justified. From your post some may have mistakenly assumed you truly expected your husband to acknowledge all that you do. If you reread your post maybe you can see why some jumped to the wrong conclusion. It’s so hard to know where someone is at from a few lines in a post and it’s hard to express clearly how you are feeling(some of my rants are incredibly long, because things are complicated and hard to explain). I don’t think anyone here intended to offend you or be anything other than supportive.

  • tonyac2
    tonyac2 Member Posts: 314
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    @Barbie300, I’m sorry if my reply made you feel dismissed. That truly wasn’t my intention. I remember feeling exactly what you’re describing—that longing for my husband to simply notice everything I was carrying.
    I was only sharing where my own journey eventually led me, not suggesting you shouldn’t grieve what you’ve lost today.
    So sorry @Barbie300

  • Stan2
    Stan2 Member Posts: 163
    100 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    Member

    I understand perfectly, my DW truly believes she is doing these chores. After she spent 2 years telling me that she needed to clean her "office" I cleaned it, junked it out and made it usable again. She went in afterwards, came out and asked if I had been in her office. I hesitantly replied "yes I have" and she said "it looks a lot better now doesn't it".

  • Timmyd
    Timmyd Member Posts: 424
    500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 250 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    I hope I live long enough to see if the robots can step in to provide meaningful help. Robots will not get angry, frustrated, resentful. Perhaps it is just a pipe dream of mine, but I really think there is potential for intelligent machines to offload a lot of the unpleasantries of providing in home care for our loved one.

  • tonyac2
    tonyac2 Member Posts: 314
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Here’s what I’ve read about robot caregivers.
    Researchers are actively working on caregiving robots, but one of the biggest obstacles is hand dexterity. Walking, lifting, and navigation have made tremendous progress, but hands are incredibly difficult to replicate. A caregiver’s hands constantly adjust pressure and position without thinking:

    — Buttoning a shirt.

    — Fastening an adult brief.

    —Cleaning someone gently after toileting.

    —Holding a spoon without spilling.

    — Guiding a fragile arm into a sleeve.

    — Feeling when skin is about to tear.

    — Sensing resistance or pain through touch.

    Those tasks require thousands of tiny adjustments every second that our brains and fingertips perform almost automatically. Today’s robots can lift, transport, and assist with some mobility tasks, but they still struggle with those delicate, adaptive movements.

    I looked into where research was on this as I wished someone else could have carried the impossible parts so I could just love him.

  • KarenMusic
    KarenMusic Member Posts: 4
    5 Care Reactions First Comment
    Member

    dcare45 I really hear you about not expecting acknowledgement from anyone. With my DH it is so much work. I have a few close friends who get it, but others have drifted away, not being able to understand. My adult children are completely unable to understand. In my better moments I lose myself in my art and painting—-it can receive all of who I am.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more