Companion Care NYC?
Hi - I'm wondering if someone has had good experience with Duet or any other "companion care" in NYC they can reco.
My mom is 77 and diagnosed about a year ago with ALZ. She is stubborn and "presents" as independent, because she still lives alone and has coping skills to take care of herself, but I am noting changes/faster decline in her, as has the doormen in her building (I am grateful to them, as she has lived solo in her apartment for years, and so they know her well - they call me to tell me things I don't know/see). She is so much more confused, though doesn't THINK she is, talks to herself constantly, doesn't understand conversation - but smiles as IF she does. She can't track stories, is now forgetting close family member names…but she moves around her world smiling as if all is ok (until it's not - at which point, she can't formulate words/process what's happening). She is declining faster than I expected - and frankly, I feel like she would be better in an assisted living center with socializationm b/c she she just wants to chat nonstop - and nothing makes sense (so friends don't connect with her anymore, it's so sad). She wants to stay in her apartment. I am exhausted and need help - someone who can "speak my mom's language" and help her as a "companion" without my mom feeling like she's getting help. She resists anyone coming regularly but i know she can benefit from someone who can help her. So, looking for some guidance on great services anyone has had good luck with. THANK YOU for listening :)
Comments
-
Hi, I don't think I used Duet but I have private pay home care for my mom in NYC. Let me know if you can send me a private message and we can discuss.0
-
It sounds like your mother would be a good fit for an AL facility, and I would not wait too long. I realize it is a hard decision, but she is only going to get worse in time. I would get her settled in one now.
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help