Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Zoloft or no Zoloft?

EarlInCA
EarlInCA Member Posts: 15
10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
Member

Our neurologist asked if I would consider adding 25mg of Zoloft (sertraline, an anti-depresent) to DW's medications to even out some of the high and low spots. I agreed to having the script sent to CostPlus which we use for our pharmacy. I've subsequently performed enough research to understand the side effects.

DW is solidily in Stage 5. Today, she has literally harassed me every 10-15 minutes for 9 hours beginning at 7:30am with clothing questions and changes for dinner at 5:30. I gently assured her each time that I would assist her with her clothing before dinner. I showed her that I had set an alarm. I finally lost it, shouted at her, and left for a walk. The behavior resumed shortly after my return.

I know this is not really DW, but the AD but this has become common. I would welcome some relief from this type of behavior which goes on almost every day on one subject or another. BUT, but there is a little bit left of the original DW. From what I read of the side effects, there is a good chance the Zoloft would take that away.

I am pulled in two directions and would welcome hearing the experience of others here with a similar problem.

Comments

  • iowagirl1961
    iowagirl1961 Member Posts: 39
    Fifth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments
    Member

    My dh started taking Zoloft a few years ago when he was probably Stage 3 but having anger issues about what was happening to him. He had been on 100 mg until recently (he is now Stage 6) when it was increased to 150 mg because he had some agitation/agression problems at the day program he attends. I feel like any personality changes have been due to the dementia and not the sertraline. Glimmers of his true self bubbling through have been on a steady decline for several years now (we are in year 7 and he is now 74 years old). As far as I can tell, the Zoloft has evened things out although when we are home just the two of us and he is not very engaged in some task, he is constantly asking to call his mother and wanting to go home. So tasks and diversion are crucial.

  • Chance Rider
    Chance Rider Member Posts: 390
    250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    My husband is also solidly stage 5. He began taking Sertraline about 6 months ago and it’s made a huge difference in his moods/behavior (anger, anxiety). He still gets angry, mostly when talking politics with his friend, but the frequency is far less than before. I have no regrets on starting him on it.

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 230
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    My DW and I are currently stage 5-6. She was prescribed sertraline a few years ago. I can't tell you what stage we were in then because I have only recently done the DBAT. The symptoms sound very similar however she never acted depressed. The sertraline didn't seem to have much effect one way or the other. We eventually dropped it. We're now just using Venlafaxine and Seraquel which seem to be working best for us. I believe the seraquel is what lessened the anxiety for her.

  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 1,624
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Care Reactions
    Member

    We used sertraline for my sister. She was probably later stage 5 when we started her on it. It definitely made a difference - it helped to calm her down. Her personality changed a lot from the beginning to the end, but I don't think the sertraline affected her personality that much. If anything, it helped to let the real Peggy shine through.

  • JulietteBee
    JulietteBee Member Posts: 620
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I see a night & day difference in my mom. She had been verbally aggressive, resistant, and weepy. I started giving it to her on June 30th. She is now more subdued and receptive. If anything, I'd say mom is more of herself than before.

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    Behavior is communication. What you are seeing is intractable anxiety she no longer has tools to manage cognitively. She's telling you she needs help.

    Zoloft is an excellent medication for helping a person whose anxiety is expressed by repetition and being "stuck".

    This kind of behavior is very wearing on a primary caregiver and will result in less-than-ideal interactions at some point. This leads to you both being upset. To minimize this, I would consider the medication.

    Zoloft's side effects in adults are fairly mild in most cases and might not even impact your wife. Most common are a weight gain of about 5-10ish pounds, maybe fatigue, and the usual sexual side effects (low libido/difficulty achieving orgasm). You could trial it and see how it impacts your wife. If it's not effective or the side effects are not worth the benefit, she could be weaned off and try a different medication. Wellbutrin can be helpful for some without the fatigue, weight gain and sexual issues. The atypical antipsychotics can also be effective but they, too, have side effects for some.

    HB

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more