Discussions with new neurologist
My DH has an appointment with another new neurologist in a week. He's seen two already that have not helped. I want us to be totally honest with his memory health and the decline I see. The problem is, he denies all of these things because he doesn't remember episodes.
The last time I told a doctor what was happening my DH became furious. He called me names that I never thought I'd hear from him about anyone. I'm not afraid of violence, but the yelling and name calling, then silent treatment for days is not something I look forward to.
Has anyone else gone through this and how did you manage honestly without fear of retribution?
Comments
-
I am sorry to hear about your dilemma. I have not experienced this with my DW but I’ve read from past posts that maybe you can write down your concerns and questions and hand them to the nurse to give to the doctor to read before you two come into the exam room. Just a thought.
3 -
Good advice @blacksparky about bringing a note to read beforehand. I also tried sending an email to the doc before his appointment and asked if I could speak to her one-on-one when we came in. She sent a nurse in with him to keep him occupied taking BP, etc, and she said something like “let’s go over here, I want to show you something” and we went to a separate room to talk privately. DH was unaware. When I joined him in the room I was prepared to say “I had to use the ladies room” or “she had some papers I needed to sign” but he didn’t ask where I was. It worked great for me.
4
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help