Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Trying to reduce anxiety with DW's anxiety

kjaymes
kjaymes Member Posts: 32
10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
Member

Not sure if I should be asking this question on this forum, but has anyone had success with CBD or CBD/THC combo in reducing loved one w/ dementia anxiety levels?

I'm from California where it's legal.

Let me know-Thanks

Comments

  • Michele P
    Michele P Member Posts: 549
    500 Comments 250 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    Member

    We were told by two neurologists not to use anything with THC.

  • Ed's mom
    Ed's mom Member Posts: 103
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 10 Comments
    Member

    My LO occasionally uses a vape. It's adding to her confusion and breathing issues, but helps with anxiety and sleeping.

  • Chance Rider
    Chance Rider Member Posts: 390
    250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    You’re definitely in the right place to ask your question. Use the search function (magnifying glasses at the top right) and type in gummies. There have been conversations about different edibles that people have used.

    I haven’t given any to my husband because his anxiety is controlled (so far!) with Sertraline, and I won’t give him anything without consulting his doctors. I used a non THC gummy for my own anxiety when my husband was first diagnosed and it helped me without making me groggy.

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 230
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I don't have any experience with CBD/THC gummies. I am wondering though that seems like a very short-term solution. I would have had to feed them to DW all day long. Would the gummies interact with other long term anxiety meds? If you try a new anxiety med how do you know what's working the med or the gummies. I would certainly coordinate with LOs Docs.

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member



    I have a friend who had 2 young children with whom she flew to Germany solo each summer. She asked her pediatrician if there was something OTC she could give them to make the flight more manageable. The doc pulled out her prescription pad and wrote a script for low dose Valium. My friend said she wasn't sure it was the right thing for the kids and the doctor replied "It's for you. They'll have an easier time if their mom isn't so anxious they might bother others."

    HB

  • notequipped
    notequipped Member Posts: 136
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I took a good quality CBD for some time following a surgery to help with inflammation. I slept like a rock while taking it. I also live in a legal state. THC makes me extremely anxious and a bit paranoid so it’s a no go for me.

  • Timmyd
    Timmyd Member Posts: 425
    500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 250 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Member
    edited August 6

    From what I understand, it works for some people but not for others. Here is how I would frame it.

    Did the loved one have any experience using THC/CDB prior to their diagnosis and if so what was their reaction?

    Did the loved one have any strong opinions on therapeutic use of THC/CDB prior to their diagnosis? If they were able to consent today, do you think they would?

    If you do go this route, I would suggest starting small, like maybe 2mg THC twice a day. My opinion is that it is a very safe risk to take. I think the worst that can happen is no worse than any other bad day that is already likely in your future.

  • kjaymes
    kjaymes Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    Thanks Timmy,

    We've both taken 5mg gummies for sleep in the past. Not everyday, actually once a twice a week as needed. She has shown a higher tolerance than I in the past. I'll wait to see if the medicines prescribed by her memory doctor start to kick before looking at other alternatives.

  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 3,421
    1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 2500 Comments 1,000 Care Reactions
    Member

    I take CBD for sleep. It has really helped me. I also gave my DH one CBD gummy in the AM and one before bed. I asked his doctors if it was OK and they said yes. It helped the pain in his knees (his words) and it helped with agitation until he went into Memory Care and became incontinent. He became aggressive when they tried to shower him or change him. They had to give him strong anti anxiety meds. No THC is what I've read because it could negatively affect their delusions & hallucinations.

  • Timmyd
    Timmyd Member Posts: 425
    500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 250 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    Member

    Prior to diagnosis, DW would occasionally use 5mg gummy to help with relaxation. When she got the diagnosis it was decided to avoid it so as to not interfere with prescribed medications. Recently the prescribed medications are no longer working and I have thought about experimenting with THC/CDB because of how severe the agitation has gotten and how little help I feel like I was getting from her doctor. She is taking 50mg seroquel and 50 mg sertraline daily. Her doctor's only suggestion was to move sertraline to 100mg daily. I needed some more immediate relief from her aggression, yelling, and violent outbursts. I think the benefit of THC/CDB is that unlike SSRI, you don't have to wait weeks to know if it works.

  • Lisamarie62
    Lisamarie62 Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    My DH with EOA takes 50mg of a CBD Gummie before he goes to bed each night. It helps him to sleep calm - otherwise his body twitches all night long. I can tell when he has forgotten to take it because I lay there and count his body 'twitch' every 15 seconds like clock work. He also wakes up well rested. It has worked for us.

  • evelynwisner
    evelynwisner Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Member
    Managing anxiety in a loved one can be incredibly overwhelming for caregivers as well. While exploring treatments with a doctor is key, incorporating soft sensory grounding techniques, maintaining a calm structured routine, and using validation strategies can also help soothe heightened anxiety moments. Wishing you the best with finding what works!

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more