Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Does anyone experience this

KDSG
KDSG Member Posts: 23
10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
Member

I try to take my DH out to do things, like listen to music, a movie, dinner, grandkid’s ball games.It is such a project, he asks the same questions over and over even though it is a place we have been many ,many times. By the time we are ready to go, I feel like I don’t want to go because once we get there I have to tell him everything all over again and how to act. He is very kind and compliant but he has forgotten how to order food, or which grandson is playing or even where we are. I know getting him out is good for him so I keep trying. He is stage 5 with some stage 6 behaviors. I just feel so exhausted sometimes.

Comments

  • terei
    terei Member Posts: 976
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Comments
    Member

    YOU need to get out. I dont think at the stage you are describing that a change in his routine is really helpful to him. Try to arrange it so you can leave him and socialize with others and get a break.

  • bjtm1969
    bjtm1969 Member Posts: 13
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    KDSG, I understand exactly what you are saying as we are experiencing similar issues. It is so draining. You are doing a wonderful job attempting to get out! I often wonder if it is worth all the planning, repeated questions, and aggravation to participate in the outing. Our daughter and grandchildren are 3+ hours away so we have stopped traveling to see them as I had shingles again after the last trip! We have rented a Vrbo close by so they can spend time with us but we can sleep in our own bed and head home when necessary. As I am typing this, we are planning to go out to dinner on the water front but am about ready to scrap it because of the repeated questions, need to change clothes and get cleaned up after doing yard work etc. We are together 24/7 with no respite but will need to look into that in the future. My husband is still very social and aware so that will be difficult. I wish I had some suggestions different from that offered above. Just know you are not alone. I am usually glad that we went out afterwards, which I try to remember, when planning future events. Hugs to you.

    .

  • SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 3,417
    1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 2500 Comments 1,000 Care Reactions
    Member

    The last few times my DH and I went to a restaurant, I didn't give him a menu or ask him what he wanted, I just ordered what I knew he would like. I distracted him by talking to him after we placed the order and that seemed to help his anxiety.

  • KDSG
    KDSG Member Posts: 23
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    Thank you everyone for your posts. All of your ideas are very helpful. I am learning to tell him we have an appointment just before we are ready to leave so he won’t wake me up at 4 AM to get ready. I am also accepting that he really prefers to stay home but likes to go for drives so we do that every day. Thanks again for all of your supportive suggestions!

  • Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 892
    1,500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    KDSG my DH is compliant and very kind too, he also cannot order food, go to the toilet or make that pleasant social conversation but we still go out. I try to pick places that are conducive to those who are compromised. It is such hard work going anywhere but I don’t go out for my DH, I go out for me. I push myself to go. I’m sure my DH has no idea of where we are going or is even interested. I am very sure he would rather be left slumped in front of the tv at home but I know it is good for me, and most times I find DH is sort of refreshed. Stay strong and determined, think of yourself first in these instances and bring your DH along for the ride, always being kind and considerate but for the carer to stay social is a very important part of surviving this awful disease.

  • Snipe
    Snipe Member Posts: 37
    100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    My DW is also stage 5. Going out to restaurants is a very rare occurrence. She usually tells me to order something for her, the menu can be very overwhelming, and she does wonder why our food doesn’t come right away. We do get out to our grand daughters sports games and an occasional baseball game but, like annie51, I don’t tell her what we are doing or where we are going until closer to the time. She just gets too anxious asking the who, what, when, where and whys over and over. It is exhausting. Is there a daycare option available? I have my DW going to daycare a few days a week for half a day. That helps both of us.

  • WIGO23
    WIGO23 Member Posts: 318
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member
    edited August 8

    I take my DH to the same Panera every morning for his coffee and my tea. The staff knows he has MCI and are most kind. He can still get a refill for us and I encourage him. I do have to keep an eye on him being sure he returns to the table without problems.
    I need this routine as much as he does. I need to get out of the house everyday. The familiarity of the place makes it possible, I think, at this stage.

  • Vegan Tree lover
    Vegan Tree lover Member Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Member

    Hi, I agree with the tight routine, eating at the same time every day, walks same time, sleep same time works the best for my DH. This seams to help with his exhaustion in the late afternoon. I applaud you trying to take your DH out and about. Make sure you get enough rest for yourself.

  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 1,385
    500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments
    Member

    When my spouse was moving through stage 5, I moved through different ways of going out to eat, until we stopped entirely. Most often I would point to a picture on the menu and ask, "Do you want the…(whatever I thought he wanted)." Later I would just order for him. He loved being in restaurants and didn't have trouble waiting for the food.

    A little earlier, just entering stage 5, we went on a long-delayed cruise and he was completely unable to eat in the main dining room. He just didn't have the patience to wait for each course, so we had to eat at the buffet every meal. It was sad for me, because dining is my reason for going on a cruise.

  • Biggles
    Biggles Member Posts: 892
    1,500 Care Reactions 500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    oh yes I need to get out of the house everyday and I need a routine for my DH as well as myself. This is my survival. I have to pick the moment of going out, there is a small window of opportunity and if I miss it the rest of the day is almost unbearable. I plan in my head what we are going to do then work towards this. I can only do one specific job a day like a doctors visit or a hair cut but then I might sweeten it with a drive-through visit to Maccas and a milkshake or burger and a little wander at the marina. I calculate my time and spend as much time out as I can . We might leave home at say 10,30 and get back, after a delayed milkshake, at 2.30 it helps the afternoon to be shorter and go quicker. I’m becoming a master at micromanaging time. Not really my idea of fun.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more