Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Humana

JulietteBee
JulietteBee Member Posts: 622
250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
Member

Hi fam!

What a hell of a ride this caregiving journey has been. Having had my DM move in with me 2.5 months ago has been a great eye-opener. Mom has been showtiming like a pro and boy was I fooled.

Anyhoo, I wanted to share what I just found out. My mom's PCP has a case manager. She has called me a few times since mom's hospitalization.

I was griping to her about how our living arrangement is so much worse than I had expected. I told her of my pre-existing health challenges and that mom needed inhome care to lighten MY load.

She told me of Humana's well kept secret. They provide members with 156 hours of FREE inhome care per year, under a program called "Helper Bees." She applied on my behalf.

After the application was received and mom qualified, "Helper Bees" called to get the process started by inquiring about mom's needs, then sourcing local agencies to find coverage. A local agency called 5 days later. They wanted to know when I wanted the aide to begin and what was my desired schedule. To have the hours cover me through the rest of 2026, I requested an aide, two days per week, 4 hours each day. I need help on Tues and Thurs. She started yesterday. Mom already adores her.🙏🏽

I was assigned a personal "Dementia Navigator" in May by a different organization. My navigator advised me to make a schedule for the aide to ensure I fully benefit from her time in our home.

My mom's 2 remaining hobbies are daily walks and reading. With that in mind, I took my navigator's advice and came up with the following.

The aide will take mom for her morning walk. She will also supervise mom as she does her chair exercises. After that, there will be a 1-1.5 hour period where she is expected to engage mom in mentally stimulating activities (play word games, do arts & crafts, read & discuss the book I pre-select for our book club, listen to & discuss podcast of choice, etc). All that brain exercise will necessitate she makes mom's lunch, followed by helping her shower & shampoo. On Thursdays, she has to change mom's bed linen and launder them. If mom has a doctor's appointment, she will go with her. The young lady's week is flexible so if an appointment is on another day of the week, she is willing to come in that day instead to go with her.

If you are a family caregiver with a LO who is insured by Humana, please look into the Helper Bees program and accept the respite they provide. Be blessed!

Comments

  • SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 967
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Excellent for you! Thank goodness you can get some relief, now. Need that.

    Thanks for posting

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 230
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Hi julietteBee

    Thanks for the hot tip. I'm looking into the Helper Bees Program. It seems to me this is a Medicare Advantage Plan benefit, similar to the Traditional Medicare Guide program. Guide basically pays for some respite care. The helper Bees seems to pay for more in home services and is not available to Traditional Medicare users. I have looked on the Helper Bees site and the Humana site and they both kind of refer back to Medicare Advantage plans. Would you have any other contact information for the plan? It sounds like you can have more companion care with Helper Bees. With the Guide program it has to be skilled nursing type support for in home care. At least that is my take on it. If anyone has better information, I am happy to be corrected.

  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 6,936
    Ninth Anniversary 1,500 Insightfuls Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments
    Member

    @JulietteBee

    I love this for you.

    HB

  • JulietteBee
    JulietteBee Member Posts: 622
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    @harshedbuzz and @SusanB-dil

    Thank you both for sharing in my joy. Susan, it was my pleasure to share. I hope many others can find the help that is needed.

  • JulietteBee
    JulietteBee Member Posts: 622
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    @dcare45, unfortunately, I have no further information. As the secret was spilt by the CM at mom's PCP, I would recommend you call your LOs PCP's office on Monday and ask if they have a CM who could apply to the program for you.

    All the best!🙏🏽

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 230
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Ok will do. Again, thanks for the tip.

  • JulietteBee
    JulietteBee Member Posts: 622
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    @dcare45, my pleasure. I hope it works out favorably for you and yours.

  • ARIL
    ARIL Member Posts: 560
    500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    So glad to hear the Helper Bees are buzzing your way!

  • JulietteBee
    JulietteBee Member Posts: 622
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Thank you, @ARIL! 🥰

  • Daisy4U
    Daisy4U Member Posts: 37
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Member

    So glad to learn you are getting some help, @JulietteBee. What a blessing!

  • JulietteBee
    JulietteBee Member Posts: 622
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    @Daisy4U, a blessing indeed. Thank you!

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more