A good book recommendation?
I like reading (caregiver for family) and I am looking for a book to help a spouse with best tips, coping suggestions for DH who is angry often, and she is fearful of getting hit again. Alz stage 4, he is currently (temporarily) removed from home -
Comments
-
The definitive book on Alzheimer’s and dementia in general, in many of our opinion, is the 36 hour day. Having said that, if DH is often angry and violent then it’s time for some serious meds or if all else fails then an institution.
4 -
I’m sorry you have to be going through this. It’s good you’re being proactive in your thoughts for your DH. Im currently reading Did I Remember To Tell You. It was suggested on this site. I agree with persevere above. Time for meds or institution if there is violence. Being a caregiver sometimes calls for hard decisions. Don’t allow yourself to be harmed.
6 -
The 36-Hour Day is excellent.
This freebie is shorter and very helpful as well-That said, the appropriate strategy for hitting or any violent behavior is being sent to the ER for transfer to a geri psych until for medication to address behaviors. If things are safe, an out patient approach could also be an option.
HB2 -
The 36 Hour Day.
1 -
thank you for the pdf, reading now and the two books !
1 -
I really enjoyed Dasha Kipper’s Travelers to Unimaginable Lands :Stories of Dementia, the caregiver and the Human Brain.
1
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 696 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 401 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 295 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 205 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help

