Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

See you at the funeral… Cutting off relationships.

NYCalz
NYCalz Member Posts: 24
Third Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments
Member

”See you at the funeral,” as of late is what I am constantly wanting to say to family and friends. Life is exhausting, both physically and mentally. I am aware of what I have in me and I choose to save this for my DH. As things change in the disease progression, it is disheartening and disappointing to observe the level of insensitivity and obliviousness from his siblings and other family members.

It makes me want to cut all ties off and protect my/our peace. I know isolation comes with the territory, and I am perfectly ok with it. But it breaks my heart when I think about this because my husband was always close with his siblings and always a social butterfly.

I am curious as to what your experiences have been in such situations. How did you determine and express boundaries?

«1

Comments

  • sgowans
    sgowans Member Posts: 11
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Member

    I feel the same way. They don’t realize that just a phone call helps. I have told my DWs brothers when the time comes they can pay their respects but it will be when I’m not there. Then they can go back home.

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 234
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    murpc76 

    You have ripped the scab from my wound. This has hit me hard in the last couple of days.

    When my DW finally gets to go "Home" I plan on having a celebration of her for everyone that has been here for her in the last 6 Years. As of now there are two counting me. I will not deal with a bunch of people that are going to show up for 1/2 an hour to act sad on their way to going out to eat to make them self's feel better. That includes family and friends. As my Dear ole Mother said, " if you couldn't come and see me when I was alive, don't come and see me when I am dead.". God Bless you Mama.

    DW and I were social pretty much, babysitting almost every weekend for grand kids and nephews, DW had many "friends" from high school. Now DW doesn't get calls, visits, or even check ins through me to see how she is doing from anyone. So, everyone has already set their own boundaries. I was never asking for help or support, just a little compassion for my DW, their friend, Mother, family member. I have no obligation to put on a funeral or expectations for anyone.

    I have not cut off any contact or communications. I also do not have any obligation to contact or communicate with any Johnny come lately. Please protect your peace. Do what will keep your sanity. You are the one carrying the load. Don't cater to the ones not showing up.

  • Amily
    Amily Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Member
    I completely understand, I have a sibling that fights me and prays on my mom's sympathy. Can't come around unless wants something(money). Im trying not to upset my mom but I have to distant myself. I actually was told today that euthanasia is an option. I feel so alone more times than not but I will always be there for her no matter what but when that horrible day comes I will no longer have a sister.
  • NYCalz
    NYCalz Member Posts: 24
    Third Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments
    Member

    I’m sorry you are experiencing this as well. On Father’s day, DH’s 2 daughters didn’t reach out until late in the day. You’d think KNOWING that their dad has dementia and don’t have much time left to connect with him, that maybe, on this particular day, they would make him a priority. I used to spend energy trying to get them to connect with him because I know it would make DH happy, bring him joy. Now, I’ve come to accept that it’s not my job to “manage” other people and how they deal with this situation. It really is sad. And when the day comes that they get the phone call their father is in the end stages or has died, they will have to carry the weight of how they had the opportunity to contribute to little moments of joy in his life. A hug to you as well.

  • Lethe
    Lethe Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    ”make the attempt to make him feel seen” Oof can I relate to that! My DH is the oldest of 5 and I misjudged what “close” meant. The resentment is real.

  • Lethe
    Lethe Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I think about this a lot also. I love “shine on” and that is my goal but it is so difficult not to carry all the grief… so much loss, and to let the resentment go. Thank you for the positive words.

  • Lethe
    Lethe Member Posts: 126
    100 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I could have written this post. Same meal, same outside invisibility and we must have the same sister in law… different planet for sure.

  • Sparklebutt
    Sparklebutt Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Thanks for your words of encouragement Lethe .

  • Sparklebutt
    Sparklebutt Member Posts: 19
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I’m so encouraged by the warmth and transparency of posts on this site. Thank you everyone.

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 234
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    We also have a very small family. There hasn't been any animosity between any of us. That being said there isn't any help coming my way either. I think most people don't know how to deal with a PWD so they just stay away and don't ask. God bless your granddaughter,

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more