I think I've got it..scared and sad
Almost Everyone on my mother's side of the family has had Alzheimer's but I always thought of myself as being more like my dad, so maybe it wouldn't happen to me. I'm 72 and was hoping some of the forgetfulness was just old-age related.
I'm going to see my doctor soon, with my husband, and ask for tests or whatever and then make plans for my next years. I really hate that i'm going to be a burden to Ken. But at this point he is happier helping me than if I were not here, if you know what i mean.
I would be very interested in any/all alternative methods of slowing down the progression. Such as low carb, methylene blue, creatine, exercises…anything.
Thank you for reading this, my longest post ever in my life!
Comments
-
I am 74 and was diagnosed with AD October, 2025. I live alone, but am thankful that my son commutes to my city each day and comes to check on me, as well as to take me to medical appointments…(after 53 years of driving, The AD has affected my ability to drive safely, due to short memory lapses of what to do).
When you go to your doctor, they will advise you of the steps to diagnose AD. It will involve a blood test first, to check the TAU protein level. Then if that test has an elevated value, a brain PET Scan is next ( a spinal tap can also be used as second way to determine AD). I also had a DNA test to look for bio-markers called E3, E/4, which can tell which parent you inherited the AD from; since my parents are deceased, I was unable to find that out. Oh, the E4 is indicative of having AD.
I wish you well on your journey; be not dismayed. Just take each day "one at a time."If you spend time on thinking about what will happen to you, eventually; you will miss out on the day by day pleasures in your life with family, friends, and activities.
2 -
Thank you for the information. I"ll mention these things to my Dr (except the spinal tap!). I stopped driving too, it is just 'too much' to think about. Ken just bought a truck and he has been doing all the driving which has reduced my anxiety a lot.
Ok, I'm off to Google TAU protein levels and E3 and E4 stuff since this is new to me.
Thank youmagain for your support!
0 -
The APOE4 gene puts you at greater risk of developing AD, it does not cause AD. There is no need to test for that. The ptau, however, will reflect what is going on in your brain. Best of luck!
1 -
SV, A brief intro- I'm 67, diagnosed with MCI due to AD in 1/2025. First off- breathe! You're looking to slow the progression? Have you actually been diagnosed with AD yet? The genetic test wii determine your RISK factor only. Now the blood test can determine your level of tau- one of the biomarkers for AD. The ultimate diagnostic tools are MRI and PET scans- which will show the amount of amalyoid- the other biomarker for AD in your brain. From what I've read, you've just found out that you have either 1 or 2 copies of the APOE gene, not a diagnosis. Have your doctor refer you to a local neurologist to go down the path to a diagnosis. But, getting back to your question: slowing down the progression. There are two FDA approved infusion meds that will slow AD- the neurologist will over those with you. I'm on one of those every 2 weeks. Additionally, my treating doctor put me on a "prescription medication used to treat symptoms of dementia related to AD". Note, I'm not giving names, because I'm not a doctor and I won't play one on the net. The doctors will advise you. Don't Panic- that's important! Don't automatically take precautions, like not driving or limiting yourself. And a final word- for heaven's sake, don't diagnose yourself. Live your liife. Make appointments with the doctors
2 -
0
-
Hi Faust, yeh I kinda panicked and dx myself. Sent off for the health screening kit from 23andMe, but niw realize it doesn't really mean that much whether i have 1 or 2 of the E4s. But the test will show other stuff like if I have Neanderthal blood etc. So it will be interesting.
The best thing that has helped my brain is going low carb. I looked up Keto diets and mostly do what it says. It has helped my memory and cognition at least 85%.
When i first posted, it took me about an hour to figure out how/where to post, or to even find the website. This is significant because 20 yeats ago i was a database programmer and webmaster for a State Agency,Anyway, stopping all,the carbs and taking some MCT oil has helped me out of that fog.
1 -
Hello, SilverVoyager. Good for you! A low carb diet, exercise, cognitive training, socializing, and maintaining a sleep schedule are important for everyone as we age. The improvement you have is encouraging. A Mayo Clinic neurologist told me if your cognition challenges are resolving or getting better, it’s not Alzheimer’s yet. I say yet because no one can predict how people with low levels of PTau and amyloid plaques may progress in the future. Keep it up!
Wishing you all the best!
0 -
Thank you, it is encouraging but you never know….
I wish there were more trials out there asmthe baby boomers age, we are going to need a lot of help!
1 -
Great advice, thanks for sharing, is really reassuring to peeps new to the "Club" and even ones with a few years under our belts.
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 696 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 401 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 295 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 205 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help