Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

objects in purse

Rach75
Rach75 Member Posts: 3
Second Anniversary First Comment
Member

My DM becomes very possessive of her purse- my father and i found two knives she carries that are wrapped up in paper towels. To me i suspect she is feeling scared that she needs protection as she tells me " you never know". How do i deal with this?

Comments

  • JulietteBee
    JulietteBee Member Posts: 622
    250 Likes 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Wow, that is scary!

    I would take them out of her purse and lock up all sharp objects that are in the house.

    My mom just moved in with me and that was the advice I was given. She used to sew. I took away all her scissors and locked up the knives.

    I was quick to heed that advice as my mom has a cousin who is also battling this vile disease. Many years ago, prior to mom's diagnosis, mom went to visit her cousin for the weekend. Her cousin drew a knife on her. It scared mom so badly, she never went back to visit. I do not know what triggered our cousin, in to doing that. Neither does anyone know what may trigger your mom in to brandishing it against your dad.

  • SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 967
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Agreeing to take them away...

    Just keep reassuring that she's safe. You could fiblet tell her that you have a knife if ever needed.

  • WillisL
    WillisL Member Posts: 6
    First Comment
    Member

    I “fiblet” all the time. It does work. I use my sarcastic humor too since my mom has a horribly sarcastic sense of humor still. I just stay calm even if it’s hard to do so.

  • SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 967
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Yes, all for fiblets. Whenever needed to keep LO calm, comforted, and safe.

    But also thought of something. If by chance totally removing 'things' from her purse doesn't work, maybe could wrap something about same size, like a plastic crochet hook, in the paper towel? 'Something' would still be in the purse, and she may not ever really check into the wrap. Just a thought.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more