Well, what did I expect?
2 years ago, my younger sister called and told me she had just been diagnosed with early onset Alz...She had APoE4/APoe4 genes. The deal had been that if either of us found out, we would tell the other and our brother. So of course, I made an appt with a Neurologist and tried to find out what if I was affected. Well, what did I expect? I have APoe4/Apoe3, so I was in the "probably" category. No "Cure" of course, but Neurologist set me on the path to get Kisunla infusions, which might shrink the tangles and prolong things a bit. I have 2 more (of 18) infusions coming and they will check again to see how much shrinkage there has been. (I had an earlier CT scan and there was some shrinkage, but not enough yet. We had called my brother...who at first refused to be tested but later relented...Yep, another early onset. But in his case, he won't try to get help until after Dec of this year as that's when he's eligible for Medicare. Otherwise the cost would be too much.
I feel like I'm mostly okay. I do forget things but not everything. I think maybe my sister and brother maybe started a little earlier (and are worse off now than me because they both smoked and they still do). So maybe they're further along this journey than I am...
Anyway I live in hope that the infusions help...I hope the best for everyone else too. Now where did I leave my phone again? Sheesh!
Comments
-
Wishing you the best going forward. Thanks for sharing this and I hope you keep sharing. 🫂❤️
0 -
Your sign off to your post was hilarious!! I can totally relate!! I lose my phone at least 5000 times a day. Of course I always panic which makes me panic more, and then I find it and a few minutes to a few hours later and then shortly after set it down, and I lose it again. Lol. I would to devise something that connects to my wrist, that has a long retactactable steel cable l on it so that when I it down somewhere I I start to walk away it retracts quickly, and my phone smacks me on my wrist!!! Kinda like, positive and negative reinforcement at the same time. LOL. Have not yet worked out the details so if there are any engineer our there that might any ideas, I would be appreciative. LoL
0
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 696 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 401 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 295 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 205 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help