Assisted Living Paperwork Q’s
Present address vs permanent - does it matter? My Mom has been at our home since February. We have never updated her address for anything.
I vaguely recall a discussion about Social Security designated payee. Is it necessary to have one? Why or why not?
I would like to receive all statements and bills at my address. Her bank account isn’t changing so I’m thinking that SS should be fine as is?? Any tips, tricks, things that I should be aware of?
Almost forgot the big question - does AL really need her SS #? If so, why? I have frozen her credit but I’m still reluctant to provide it. My Dad had his identity stolen several years ago. Getting it straightened out took a lot of time and effort.
Comments
-
Updating moms address was so much work. We started by doing a change of address at the post office, but she lived with my brother and he just let her go through all her mail herself. That didn’t work. I think I had 15 different places I had to contact. Mom never did a designated payee. She is on Medicaid and in a nursing home, but so far have not run into a problem. Money is deposited directly into her account and my name is has been on the account with her for over 10 years. When dad passed we had to change the direct deposit to a different account and I did everything online with mom by my side. Someone said SS requires something other than a DPOA to make changes. I probably didn’t do things legally, but after mom was diagnosed I went onto the website and changed the mailing address. Mom was not by my side for that (and probably wouldn’t have agreed to it). I’m pretty sure I had to give Al moms SS #. I wonder if they have to report to the state and it’s required for that (I don’t know). I was cautioned to sign all documents with moms name then my name followed by DPOA. By doing this you make it clear you are signing on behalf of your lo and are not personally responsible for any bills.
1 -
I just became my husband's Social Security Representative Payee. If for some reason the Direct Deposit does not show up (or is the incorrect amount), the designation allows me to call and actually speak with a Social Security agent; otherwise I would not be able to. It is for the PWD's protection from scammers. We have a joint bank account that the money goes into, but that is not enough to be able to speak with anyone about it. Social Security does not use DPOA forms, just an interview (by appointment), my identification, both SS numbers and a background check on me (which they do) were all that was required of me. Your mom's doctor would have to fill out a form verifying that your mother is incapable of handling her finances.
I did have to give the Social Security agent my DH's address in MC, but otherwise I use my home address for all of his mail. A Social Security number will be required for a death certificate when that time comes.
2 -
@Bowerbird and @H1235 Thank you.
1
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 698 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 402 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 247 Caring Long Distance
- 206 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources
- View Discussions For People Living with Dementia
- View Discussions for Caregivers
- Discusiones en Español
- Browse All Discussions
- Dementia Resources
- 8 Account Assistance
- 15 Help