Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

No diagnosis yet

Im concerned about my husband. He is showing signs of confusion and paranoia. He hates doctors. He will not go. But I believe the warning signs are there. Forgetfulness and false accusations directed towards me. How should I handle this?

Comments

  • jgreen
    jgreen Member Posts: 517
    500 Likes 500 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    Member

    Hi, @BibiLola Welcome.

    Would your DH go if y told him it is to keep your insurance up-to-date? Or you could ask him to accompany you on your ‘next check up’ and have your physician evaluate him while he is with you. If you try either of these, I would contact your physician ahead of time and let him know about your concerns. I would be transparent and let the doctor know your husband is refusing to go for himself and that you want his opinion after he observes your husband. Doctor’s won’t be able to diagnose without labwork and MRi or PET scans, but they can do a quick cognitive assessment.

    You may also want to contact the Alzheimer’s Association help line and talk with someone about your concerns and husband’s refusal to go to the doctor. I bet there is someone out there who has been in a similar situation as you that these counsellors have assisted.

    I hope all goes well for you.

  • BibiLola
    BibiLola Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Member

    thank you.
    my daughter gave me the same suggestion. I will contact my dr Monday morning.

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,347
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member

    jgreen gave you great advice. If the insurance fib doesn’t work, try something else. Maybe a routine yearly check up, or a blood pressure check. I would avoid any discussion of his memory or other symptoms you are seeing. Many with dementia have anosognosia. This is the inability to recognize their own symptoms. It can make things incredibly difficult in so many ways. I will attach a staging tool that will show a bunch of symptoms. You may find there are symptoms you didn’t realize were symptoms ( it about way more than memory loss). Good luck!


    https://iona.org/therapeutic-fibs-ok/

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more