Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Are our 'numbers' gone?

13»

Answers

  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 1,385
    500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments
    Member

    I also noticed that when it determines a "best" answer (using unknown criteria), it pulls that answer to the top, disturbing the flow of the conversation. I just saw one where the "best" answer starts with "I agree with so-and-so," but it's at the top and there is no preceding discussion for it to agree with yet. Very intrusive.

  • April23
    April23 Member Posts: 212
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Member

    Wow, I just found this. I don’t come in this forum much. Although I just skimmed it I read enough to know I’m leaving. I’m in the final stage with just weeks or months to go. I thought this was a place to learn and express freely but I guess not. What a shame.

    To all the regs on the parent board, thank you for everything. You all helped me so much on my journey. I found this forum late but the knowledge I gained helped me so much through these last stages. I wish you all the best as you soldier on.

  • SusanB-dil
    SusanB-dil Member Posts: 971
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    @April23 There has been some rather strange things going on here, but I believe that for the most part, we are still here for each other regardless.

    I'm sure your emotions are going up and down these days as your LO is in that stage. ((hugs))

  • H1235
    H1235 Member Posts: 2,347
    1,000 Likes 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Care Reactions 1000 Comments
    Member
    edited September 25

    Ironically this post shows answered. I’m not sure our questions have been answered. Grrrr!

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 232
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    @April23 I'm sorry you are going through this stage. My heart goes out to you. As @SusanB-dil mentioned we are still here for each other regardless of the shenanigans going on.

  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 3,276
    1,000 Insightfuls Reactions 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary
    Member
    edited September 26

    I sent the mods a message about the hot vs new sort, and how to make i permanently default to new. No response.

    Is there anyone here that likes the hot sort? I sure don’t. Of course, new doesn’t work like it did before. Because it’s working off the original post date rather than the latest comment date.

  • ARIL
    ARIL Member Posts: 559
    500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    @April23 So sorry you are going through all this. I agree with others: the shenanigans in recent weeks have been discouraging, but there are plenty of us still here for each other. You have helped me see my situation more clearly, and I am grateful to you for that.

  • ARIL
    ARIL Member Posts: 559
    500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    …It is getting harder to read the forum. Not only “the” AI “user,” but a new one: another commenter was digging up old posts last week and was called out; the user is now back under a different username but with the same profile and profile picture as last week. With very cold responses—not bad info, but pretty clearly a machine. Really getting exhausted from all this. And Dad is erratic these days—one day is awful, the next visit is more or less OK. So tired.

  • towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 643
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    Member

    Aril, I found the re named user you were referring to. It is like reading academic speak with no personal insight at all.

  • Victoriaredux
    Victoriaredux Member Posts: 339
    250 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Member
    edited September 26

    A few more of these weird-o changes and search engines will start to send us folks who actually find adult diapers "HAWT." Heaven help us then …..

    I wonder if the Assoc is getting paid for letting these bots invade. There are two things that happened at once - the junky titles " answered , hot," etc and the bot posters that are an insult to the warm humanity that has been the hallmark of the this Forum [except for the rare very human flame wars between individuals]. "Never ignore a coincidence. Unless you're busy, in which case, always ignore a coincidence." — The Eleventh Doctor (Doctor Who) 

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 232
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    I think what is going on with the site is called "Enshitification". I saw the term in a comment on another post and it kinda fits here. I googled it and it seems to be a real thing. I thought they had just made up the word for effect is why I googled it and sure enough it was there. I found it interesting. I don't know how ALZ.ORG could make money on it but the third-party vender could.

  • dcare45
    dcare45 Member Posts: 232
    250 Likes 100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    A quick definition. Thanks @beachwalker5 , I hope you don't mind me using your referances.

     "Enshittification" is the term that might apply to this situation. From Google AI:
    "Enshittification = the process where digital platforms and services gradually degrade in quality as they shift their focus from pleasing users to exploiting them for business customers and finally extracting all remaining value for shareholders…."

  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 1,385
    500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments
    Member

    Here's the word of the year entry for it from the American Dialect Society: https://americandialect.org/2023-word-of-the-year-is-enshittification/

  • ARIL
    ARIL Member Posts: 559
    500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Member

    Hmm. That’s a new word for me—it does sound made up, doesn’t it?!—but yeah, that seems just right. The American Dialect Society link from @sandwichone123 has a very good description, thanks.

    So I guess the question is where we are on the continuum between “good to users” and “platform dies”—and whether the AlzAssn can be persuaded to understand that this matters, to us but also to them.

  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 1,624
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Likes 1000 Comments 250 Care Reactions
    Member

    I'm pretty sure Cory Doctorow coined the word "enshittification". He's a writer (mostly science fiction), but also involved in civil liberties issues, mostly stuff relating to copyright. I've run into him a few times at conferences, but it's been awhile. So yeah, it's a real thing, and now we have to deal with it here. 😐️

  • Victoriaredux
    Victoriaredux Member Posts: 339
    250 Likes 250 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Member

    Hitting SPAM on the flag is a faster way to remove the bots than violates guidelines, I think two flags and that comment poofs.

Commonly Used Abbreviations


DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more